Meaningless Pub (food) signs......or is it me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I ranted awhile back about 'pan fried' - what the hell else are they going to fry in - a paper bag? But someone pointed out that it's not actually quite meaningless - it means 'not deep fried'. Fair enough I suppose.

U

User169

Also slightly OT..... "Vine ripened Tomatoes" WTF else are they going to ripen on?? Just an excuse for some fancy packaging, and to charge the gullible for the pieces of vine which will of course add to the weight.

Er, off the vine!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I ranted awhile back about 'pan fried' - what the hell else are they going to fry in - a paper bag? But someone pointed out that it's not actually quite meaningless - it means 'not deep fried'. Fair enough I suppose.
I once bought a packet of crisps, might have been Tesco own brand. They were described as "Pan fried shallot and wensleydale cheddar" flavour. Cheese and Onion then !

One of the weirdest experiences was "Friedhamar" in Iceland and with outside temperatures of -15, a greenhouse growing tomatoes.....

tumblr_ng640fOdI31qh0rbao1_500.jpg

Hand cut chips.

Hand made this or that.

Give me something made by a robot any day over something made by hand.

howard2107

Unless it was a deep pan, they must exist, or what would they cook deep pan pizzas in?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Pan-fried "liver/any other obviously not deep fried" food. Well how else would it get fried?

"Locally sourced" - a phrase fulfilled by buying stuff from any shop in in the area.

"Line caught" fish. For a start, it's hook-caught fish unless somehow they were lassooed. I'm not sure how eating a fish that once had a hook down its throat and was dragged out of the sea by said hook is any better to eat ethically or nutritionally than one caught in a net. I can see you might want to avoid supporting factory fishing and nets of a type that result in the death of unused fish or damage the sea bed but plenty of small boats use nets that are ok so why exclude them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom