Meaningless Pub (food) signs......or is it me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
One of my pet hates is signs outside a pub stating "quality food".
What does that mean ?? Good quality ? Poor quality ? They're hardly likely to put "Crap quality" (which some are). So why phrase it in such a way Grrrhh. (smiley face to show I'm not really angry :smile: )

Like "home made"

Where we all know the home is a large factory producing frozen meals

AndyRM

XOXO
Some places do employ the 'crap food, lousy service and flat beer' technique. Quite a neat trick I think as you go intrigued and the words have already set you up to be impressed when you get a fairly standard meal.

pplpilot

Guru
Slightly OT but along the same lines, Mrs Pplpilot refuses to eat in a place that give instruction on how to order your food.

1- find a vacant table and note the number
2- place your order at the bar quoting table number
3- sit back relax and we will bring your food to the table

I hate the 'Freshly Cut Sandwiches' signs. The bread may be stale and the filling mouldy but at least you know when it was cut...

I have had som fun over the years

On was commended B&B where we were asked if we wanted the sheets changing as the previous occupants had only been there to nights

Another was where we sent a sandwich back because of mould on the bread, we got the sme on back with the mouldy bit cut off

Another was a Pub where the evening meal was excellent .... Breakfast however was interesting.

Everything half cooked and a consistent grey

Then the chef came out and was bout 80, and proceeded (continued?) to clear the bar from the previous night by drinking the contents of anything left in the glasses

All part of the variety of cycle touring

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Apologies to those who have already seen it, but I liked this one from the Lake District:
DSC0002337.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the Hebrides we were having trouble finding decent seafood. We saw a fisherman loading langoustines off his boat into polystyrene cartons and asked him where we had to go to eat them. "You'll need to be in Madrid tomorrow lunchtime." was his reply.

Later on we saw a pub with a blackboard and chalked on it was: "Fish of the Day" When I eagerly asked the barman what the fish was he shrugged and said: "I dunno.... whatever we took out of the freezer this morning!"

PK99

Legendary Member
We now have "Fait Maison" on the menus here to indicate that it really is food cooked on site, because apparently some of it was not :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

There used to be ( maybe still is in theory) a trades description difference between "homemade" ie prepared on the premises and homecooked eg brakes brothers factory prepared meals

Brandane

Legendary Member
Also slightly OT..... "Vine ripened Tomatoes" WTF else are they going to ripen on?? Just an excuse for some fancy packaging, and to charge the gullible for the pieces of vine which will of course add to the weight.

Top Bottom