Media coverage of Prince Phillips passing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Apart from the terminally green-eyed, who cannot bear that he met more interesting people and had more interesting experiences in a month than they will have in their whole lives.
Saying that someone has, by accident of birth, been able to lead a life that the huge majority of people could never hope to experience even a fragment of, isn't jealousy. It's acknowledging appalling inequality.

I do find it a bit odd too when people say how tough it is to live under the constant scrutiny of the media, and they wouldn't wish it on anyone, yet Harry gets pelters when he says he doesn't fancy it much.

I do find it a bit odd too when people say how tough it is to live under the constant scrutiny of the media, and they wouldn't wish it on anyone, yet Harry gets pelters when he says he doesn't fancy it much.
Is anyone saying BOTH those things? I'm not really sure what your point is ...

(p.s. where - and what decade?? - does this word "pelters" come from?? It does delight one, but it's quite new to one's ear!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
(p.s. where - and what decade?? - does this word "pelters" come from?? It does delight one, but it's quite new to one's ear!
I don't actually know, it's one of those that I can't remember not knowing, so where it appeared on my timeline, I'm not sure I'm sorry. But I'm glad you like it :smile:
Is anyone saying BOTH those things? I'm not really sure what your point is ...
I didn't say anyone had said both those things, they may have, I may go and have a look in the relevant threads if I can be bothered. I think my point is clear enough.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Sounds to me like something you might have heard in a minor public school in the 50s.

"I say, Briggs minor got pelters after he dropped the ball at rugger."

Saying that someone has, by accident of birth, been able to lead a life that the huge majority of people could never hope to experience even a fragment of, isn't jealousy. It's acknowledging appalling inequality.

So, given that you are far more privileged than 90% of people on the planet by a pure accident of birth, what are you personally doing to redress that balance?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I think through the public/press circus around Charles*, Diana, Camilla, William, Harry, Meghan and now their children, he's seen a lot more of the effects of press scrutiny than anyone posting here. Have you tried to empathise with how that would affect your family?

(*that's without mentioning the other Prince. Something to do with York, name escapes me for now ... )

That's a pathetic shield to hide behind - if you're going to slag someone off, try having the balls to stand by what you write.
LOL I quite literally don't have any balls, but I don't need to hide behind anything. I don't think Philip was a likeable man but that's not very interesting in itself. What's interesting is the compulsory national mourning for a figure I have never liked or admired, which I don't wish to be part of and which is a legitimate subject of criticism.

As I said, Philip was originally quite keen to invite the cameras in. Perhaps it didn't occur to him that he wouldn't control the narrative that ensued. That doesn't excuse tabloid prurience, but you shouldn't confuse scrutiny of people's private lives (of which there is too much) with scrutiny of the institution and of the public conduct of its members (of which there's nowhere near enough). Anyway it's not just about The Press v The Royals, with Phil as the patriarch-protector. He was instrumental in encouraging his equally dislikeable elder son's bad-faith, exploitative marriage, and none of the senior royals seems to have done much to protect Meghan from the onslaught of misogyny and racism, but have mostly instead closed ranks with the press against whatever threat she represents.

Meghan from the onslaught of misogyny and racism, but have mostly instead closed ranks with the press against whatever threat she represents.

What absolute nonsense. To describe the mess on Oprah as an interview should be investigated by Trading Standards, but much of what she claimed has been shown to have been the fantasies of an already troubled individual.

Some are bound to try to argue that being better off than 90% of the world won't be a privilege received by an accident of birth.
I must admit to a long-held suspicion about folks who get personal about the royals - and sometimes thank my lucky stars that the individuals aren't themselves "ruling" over me even in a constitutional sense.
And I say that as a republican.
It was by the way I thought a cute pic of the queen and a chilled looking philip, hat on knee, on the scottish grass - it may have been released for PR reasons, but I have little doubt that the pic and the spirit in which it was taken was genuine.

Top Bottom