Media coverage of Prince Phillips passing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Ridiculous, BBC one and two broadcasting a four hour Philip special, the exact same programme at the exact same time and it's being repeated until breakfast time tomorrow on both channels. That's complete overkill. Where's the balance, lots will want to watch it, lots won't.
I don't like being shovel fed stuff in this manner. BBC radio is the same. No other news on the world at one, same on pm and I'll bet the guests on any questions tonight are not the original panel. ITV have done the same. At least channel four still have normal schedule programmes with a few Philip specials thrown in.

Yes it's sad, he was a seemingly decent man but it's not going to affect me in any way other than the fawning media coverage wrecking my schedule.
It certainly deserves a lot of attention and broadcasting but this is ridiculous.

Ridiculous, BBC one and two broadcasting a four hour Philip special, the exact same programme at the exact same time and it's being repeated until breakfast time tomorrow on both channels. That's complete overkill. Where's the balance, lots will want to watch it, lots won't.
I don't like being shovel fed stuff in this manner. BBC radio is the same. No other news on the world at one, same on pm and I'll bet the guests on any questions tonight are not the original panel. ITV have done the same. At least channel four still have normal schedule programmes with a few Philip specials thrown in.

Yes it's sad, he was a seemingly decent man but it's not going to affect me in any way other than the fawning media coverage wrecking my schedule.
It certainly deserves a lot of attention and broadcasting but this is ridiculous.
Totally agree.
But, the BBC make no secret of the fact that their target audience is the under 35 age group. How many of them are remotely interested?
A couple of extended news programmes would suffice. It's not as if there will be a shortage of information available for those who want it.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Totally agree.
But, the BBC make no secret of the fact that their target audience is the under 35 age group. How many of them are remotely interested?
A couple of extended news programmes would suffice. It's not as if there will be a shortage of information available for those who want it.

It may be the target audience in which case this is mostly wasted on them but the core audience will be much older who will more than not appreciate this but not in the sheer volume that is being gushed out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's partly the nature of 24 hour rolling news: tread water until something big happens then throw the kitchen sink at it.

The BBC cannot rely on everyone having access to the BBC News Channel, so devoting one of their main channels to duke coverage is reasonable.

Clearing both main channels for it does look like overkill.

At least most of those who cannot face using their telly's off switch will have access to lots of channels which will be bashing on as normal.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I just switched to Radio 1 to see how they were handling it. Let’s just say Coldplay’s accountant will be pleased.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just switched to Radio 1 to see how they were handling it. Let’s just say Coldplay’s accountant will be pleased.
Stop all the Clocks.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

It's partly the nature of 24 hour rolling news: tread water until something big happens then throw the kitchen sink at it.

The BBC cannot rely on everyone having access to the BBC News Channel, so devoting one of their main channels to duke coverage is reasonable.

At least most of those who cannot face using their telly's off switch will have access to lots of channels which will be bashing on as normal.

It's definitely overkill, some people have access to only four channels and three of them have just taken away their choice. BBC will cop some flack for this.

Ridiculous, BBC one and two broadcasting a four hour Philip special, the exact same programme at the exact same time and it's being repeated until breakfast time tomorrow on both channels. That's complete overkill. Where's the balance, lots will want to watch it, lots won't...

Your schedule is governed by what's on BBC One and BBC Two?

Top Bottom