media Travel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Let me think...
Cycling in France with it's well surfaced network of quiet back roads, drivers respectful of cyclists, good weather, pavement cafes, the smell of freshly baked bread and croissants.... VERSUS:
Britain. Enough said.

Last edited:
A lot of people live lives that are a bit sht, doing sht jobs and living in sht parts of the country in sht homes.
Getting away from it all for a week or two a year to somewhere with guaranteed good weather and cheap food and drink is something they look forward to. I don't blame them.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
i love foreign travel I've been all over the world immersing myself in different cultures and their habits ( no 2 weeks all in on a resort for me ) just cant cant my head round the mindset . I'm staying in UK for foreseeable future, yes I miss it but it can wait .

But I do get the point about the media spouting off about denying the great unwashed their God given right to go to Tenerife and eat their full English breakfast before spending the rest of the day watching Only Fools and Horses in a pub adorned with Union Jacks.
Your idea of a holiday, and mine for that matter, may be different to the one mentioned above but I'm sure they wouldn't want to cycle up some godforsaken hill either.

Everyone is different and no less entitled to things than anyone else is.

Reactions: gbb

mustang1

Guru
+1 to what @gbb said.

I holiday in the UK and abroad and find both enjoyable for differnt reasons but I have to admit going abroad is far more enjoyable: a completely different environment, sunshine, language, food, customs, history, architecture, the unknown. It's bloody fantastic and I cannot wait to go again but not until covid is sorted out and until then, I'll enjoy my UK holidays but in a different way.

As long as it relieves daily stress, that's what counts. Well, and sunshine (which is known to relieve stress). ^_^

Because they are thick and think that sitting on a sweaty beach,getting pissed and burnt,along with other slobby 'Brits abroad' is the thing they have to do. Two things they've been aching to do since this crap started. Go abroad and hug granny.:rolleyes:
But that's what some people enjoy, how stupid do people think cyclists are getting p*ss wet through or Football fans or Fishermen or any other thing that one person doesn't do or like?

I like having a few beers actually, I don't mind sitting on a Beach (for a while anyway), I don't get burnt as I'm careful but I enjoy the Sun and I'm certainly not thick.

I love the judgment some people meter out on here, what might some think seeing a Grown Man dressed in a Boating Blazer wheeling a Dog around in a Pushchair taking photographs of cars parked on Footpaths?

Just a thought.;)

mustang1

Guru
I have very little idea what's going on in the media so I'm not aware of what is being said about who holidays where though I get people need direction and they look towards the media all while believing they are in charge of themselves, even little ol' me!

I'm gonna ask my friends in Italy if they'd like to bring their bikes over here; i think they will counter the offer and invite me there instead. :bicycle:

T4tomo

Guru
Why are sheeple so desperate to go abroad ? Also why do media pish it so much ?
Value, from talking to some people in our office, if you have a family of 4, its way cheaper to go on an all inclusive package to Spain etc than it is to go on holiday in the UK, and their kids will be happily entertained splashing in the pool for hours or having laid on entz. In the UK centre parcs or a hotel charge you a small fortune, and then add on the cost of eating out etc £££££

gbb

Legendary Member
Its not for everyone, we should just accept it and accept we're all different.

I used to work abroad extensively, albeit for short periods. Discussing it with a colleague i explained..i don't even know who is picking me up (but someone will), i don't know which hotel or where it is i am staying (but its all been arranged), in some cases i don't even know how many there will speak English (Egypt was very difficult)....and colleague said...oooh, i could never do that :ohmy:

My reply...i can't do the same stuff day in day out, its exciting, different, challenging, i couldnt not do it (given half the chance)

My wife is the same. I ws in Cyprus talking to her on the phone. She was bored, i was there for another week. Then get on a plane and come out here then, i will pick you up, hotel is already paid for....JFDI. So she did bless her, thats a big deal for a woman to chuck some clothes in a suitcase, get to the airport and go the process alone.

Adventure, some of us need adventure.

D

Deleted member 26715

As a nation we're famously reluctant to learn foreign languages, so being able to speak German could be a real advantage, especially on a holiday abroad.
Is it a reluctance? Is there not an element of which other language do you choose? If English is not your native language then the choice is relatively easy. Sorry OT

But going back to OP point, personally I'd be happy to outlaw all foreign holidays until next year, along with all non essential travel, compulsory quarantine at the travellers expense to all countries that you have to cross (go under) water to get to.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is it a reluctance? Is there not an element of which other language do you choose? If English is not your native language then the choice is relatively easy. Sorry OT
I tend to get along in France by pointing at things and shouting 'silver plate' and then 'murky bucket'. Seems to work.

You're right, there's a ton of languages to choose from but the stereotype of Brits is certainly that we can't be bothered with any of them but our own.

D

Deleted member 26715

People need to look at whats happened in Bolton to see we really shouldn't be travelling abroad until we've got this virus under control, across the globe.
I wasn't aware of the Bolton issue, I don't follow the news, but looking on the BBC website I found this pearl of wisdom

"No one knows for sure how this spike in infections started." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57094274

I'm not a scientist & I can tell you how, somebody travelled back from India & decided they knew better & didn't isolate. Again another example of why all non essential travel should be banned, you can't trust people, before somebody claims it, this is not racist, I'm happy to include travel to all countries in the ban.

Top Bottom