media Travel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wasn't aware of the Bolton issue, I don't follow the news, but looking on the BBC website I found this pearl of wisdom

"No one knows for sure how this spike in infections started." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57094274

I'm not a scientist & I can tell you how, somebody travelled back from India & decided they knew better & didn't isolate. Again another example of why all non essential travel should be banned, you can't trust people, before somebody claims it, this is not racist, I'm happy to include travel to all countries in the ban.

If I looked out of my shed office window, the only 'regular' flights coming into Manchester were PIA and Emirates, all year. Whilst we couldn't fly out to Europe etc, USA, these were daily. Why the heck were these not stopped. Someone was sleeping when India's rates suddenly started rising then those out there fled back home before the doors shut. Too late to act again.

Interesting fact is the infections are high in under 16's, then young adults, then very few in the vaccinated age groups. Unfortunately, Bolton's overall vaccination rates aren't as high as other area's locally. The vaccine is working though, which is promising. The rates are close to 200 per 100k, which is back to December/Jan rates.

Value, from talking to some people in our office, if you have a family of 4, its way cheaper to go on an all inclusive package to Spain etc than it is to go on holiday in the UK, and their kids will be happily entertained splashing in the pool for hours or having laid on entz. In the UK centre parcs or a hotel charge you a small fortune, and then add on the cost of eating out etc £££££
I can vouch for that, booked a Caravan in Cornwall for 2 weeks next August, nothing fancy at all, £1,450.

Now on top of that you've obviously got food and drink and the cost of getting there, there's only 2 of us but daughter "might come down for a week if I've got nothing on", now can you see the attraction?

D

Deleted member 26715

Aren't there going to be any quarantine rules in place though?
Which clearly aren't working, I've no idea of the process but you probably arrive receive a piece of paper that says you must isolate, then somebody asks if you are going to isolate, the person says yes & throws the piece to paper in the bin as they leave the airport as they know better than the scientist who are not going to stop them getting on with their life.
That rules you out of foreign travel for at least the next decade.
Yep probably, not sure that's a bad thing for the environment

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But that's what some people enjoy, how stupid do people think cyclists are getting p*ss wet through or Football fans or Fishermen or any other thing that one person doesn't do or like?

I like having a few beers actually, I don't mind sitting on a Beach (for a while anyway), I don't get burnt as I'm careful but I enjoy the Sun and I'm certainly not thick.

I love the judgment some people meter out on here, what might some think seeing a Grown Man dressed in a Boating Blazer wheeling a Dog around in a Pushchair taking photographs of cars parked on Footpaths?

Just a thought.;)
:addict:

bagpuss

Guru

gbb

Legendary Member
I wasn't aware of the Bolton issue, I don't follow the news, but looking on the BBC website I found this pearl of wisdom

"No one knows for sure how this spike in infections started." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57094274

I'm not a scientist & I can tell you how, somebody travelled back from India & decided they knew better & didn't isolate. Again another example of why all non essential travel should be banned, you can't trust people, before somebody claims it, this is not racist, I'm happy to include travel to all countries in the ban.
Tis true...
My wife (until recently) worked in a school for severely SEND children. A member of staffs cousin travelled from Pakistan, came via France to avoid questions, visited various members of the extended family, infected them with Covid, said member of staff consequently infected two colleagues and the entire wing of the school had to shut down and self isolate, infected or not.
These are children with often life limiting conditions who are extraordinarily vulnerable to Covid, yet the staff member happily told her colleagues what had happened....quite unaware of the stupidity of it all.
I read somewhere in the news, France is or was seen as an easy route to circumvent restrictions.
As you say, you just can't trust people. I'd agree if they set extremely harsh conditions (compulsory tests , isolation etc) on ALL travellers arriving from, or have travelled through, infection hotspots. It surely can't be hard to check ALL travellers flight patterns at arrival to see if they have attempted to circumvent restrictions.

Chislenko

Veteran
Why are sheeple so desperate to go abroad ? Also why do media pish it so much ?

Why are people so quick to generalise?

I have property affairs to sort in an EU country as will a good few others who haven't been able to get to their property for close on 15 months.

Am I a sheeple then?

Really does get my back up this current trend of generalisation.

Anybody who disagrees with "the knee" is a racist.

All cyclists run red lights.

Everybody who votes Conservative is rich etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom