Meeting fellow cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In winter I only really commute, as I like the warmth of summer, but it would be nice to do a ride now it's warming up, except my weekends are getting busy!

There haven't been many rides around here in the informal rides section recently but quite a few of us meet up via pm etc. Maybe some of us should arrange more open rides as they always seem well subscribed around Manchester. It is much easier hooking up with people you have ridden with before though. You know roughly how fast and far they like to ride and how they ride in a group.
Presumably because there are large population centres in the north and south and a correspondingly larger number of Cycle Chatters therein you get better attendances, not sure what is going on in the midlands, but very rare to see a ride organised in these parts. For us, we enjoy travelling to other parts of the country that perhaps we haven't ridden before.

Ganymede

Veteran
:hello:

:okay:

I spend most of my riding time alone but I do actually like riding with my fellow CycleChatters - well over 100 now (though I have lost count of the exact number). That even includes the pre-retirement @potsy! (Maybe it was something I said ...? :whistle:)

If any of you fancy coming along on one of my forum rides, keep your eyes open and come on down (or up)!

PS The next one is fast approaching - my signature link below will be advertising it for another week or so.
I'd like to come on one of your rides, Colin, but they tend to be rather far away and rather long for me! Anyway, I shall be off my bike for a while.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have to many people to cycle with at the moment. Our regular Wedneday evening ride with the guys, Saturday morning with the club, Sunday morning a ride from the shop taking out newbies. And the odd solo ride in the week, And on top of that i have to keep the other half happy.:okay:
Buy i do enjoy the banter on here.^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You're all welcome to ride with KLWNBUG from West Norfolk. Informal, rides vary from 5 to 120 miles, most have no minimum speed, listed on www.KLWNBUG.co.uk and usually Facebook, plus sites like BBC and BC if volunteers have time. At least one other cc poster is on some rides.

Weeelll, maybe they are awed of your faster than lightening speed? :whistle:
Who did you and Dr. Pink leave for dust at @ColinJ's forum ride?
A wee birdie told me all :laugh:
Chapeau to you both of course!
I don't think we left anyone for dust, in fact we rode with a small group all the way round. The problem with a ride with huge numbers [now I'm complaining] is that it gets so strung out that you have no idea where anyone is, in fact there were occasions when individuals did not know where they were themselves.

Regarding going cycling with friends for social chit chat, I think you may be yearning for an era that is past. Even the CTC with its 68,000 members no longer publishes a runs list for my area which would enable local members to plan to cycle together.
Perhaps so, face to face social chitchat has certainly declined since Facebook / Twitter/ et al on the internet have proliferated [that will be CC then]. We are fortunate in that we have many friends that cycle and there are a few clubs we also ride with.

I have met up with a few from here but not for awhile now and pleasant easy rides they have been. My job and busy weekends when I'm not working mean weekday morning rides for the most part for me.
30,000 seems a lot, but then take off those who can't or aren't that interested in social rides and spread the rest out amongst the rest of the UK (and other countries come to it) and CCers are spread pretty thin. 30,000 is only a football stadiums worth.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think i might be meeting Colin from Hebden Bridge a week on Saturday if all goes to plan https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/f...on-dock-revisited-sat-28th-march-2015.174611/ . That'll be the first time in ages i've gone on some kind of an organised ride as i'm a loner cyclist. There's a dare i say elderly bloke(aged around 65)who i see passing every now and then. We got chatting and he said we should go out for a ride sometimes. Don't be fooled he's about 8 stone and runs marathons,so i reckon he'd leave me standing! That's why i prefer to ride alone. No commitments, no meet up times and no competition! Besides,talking to someone while cycling uphill is :heat:!

Last edited:
Top Bottom