Meeting fellow cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got to wondering how many folk on forums actually meet those they have discussions with, in this instance it is of course a cycling forum, therefore it is safe to assume everyone rides a bike of some description. The normal way to meet I suppose is on bikes and then cycle together, no?
Cycle Chat has it's very own system for arranging meetings between CC members, it is called "Cycle Chat and Informal Rides". Now, with north of 30,000 members one could expect that these rides, organised by members to be oversubscribed, but not so, in fact it is often difficult to get more than half a dozen per ride. Every year I ask the same question couched in different terms but not enough replies to form a conclusion.
Maybe people who join forums in general don't want to meet others, not sure why as for us it is a way of making new friends. So come on, what is your excuse.
This could equally I suppose have gone in the Cafe, I will let the Mods decide.

I think a fair number of CC members don't actually ride a bike much!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Mostly these days I ride to work and home again, not much opportunity for riding with others unless they happen to be going the same way at the same time. Maybe when the kids are old enough for bikes with pedals ...

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've met a couple of other members through joining a local club, and another one through riding audaxes. I often go off for rides a bit further from home, and wish I knew how you get hold of those "Cycle Chat" jerseys some members are wearing in some of the photos they post. Reckon it would be a good way of stumbling across any other members who want to be met. Personally I quite like the idea of meeting up with other members and being shown some of the best cycling routes by people who really know their area. I'd also be happy to show any other members some of the best bits of Gloucestershire by bike. I guess all you have to do is ask (by starting a "conversation" if you don't want to start a thread).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm reknowned for being grumpy and haven't ridded with any forum members in ages.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Most CC rides are too fast for me, I have attended a few, hence the discovery :laugh:
Met lots of local cycle chatters, haven't been on a ride with all of them though.
Because cyclists here are few compared to say, London, you get to know them through local social cycling events without necessarily having been on rides with them.
I wouldn't dream to go on rides with most of the cyclists I know here in Glasgow, way out of my league.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Most CC rides are too fast for me, I have attended a few, hence the discovery :laugh:
Met lots of local cycle chatters, haven't been on a ride with all of them though.
Because cyclists here are few compared to say, London, you get to know them through local social cycling events without necessarily having been on rides with them.
I wouldn't dream to go on rides with most of the cyclists I know here in Glasgow, way out of my league.
Snap

Top Bottom