Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An even biggerer memorial on the Ridgeway.

View attachment 517850
ditto - wot's it about :smile:

And

Fun sponge
Another big memorial in a small village - Ilam Cross

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilam,_Staffordshire#Village_Cross

William Tyndale statue, Whitehall Gardens, embankment, London - strikes me as a slightly odd location for it for some reason - I reckon few folk know it's there, assuming that patch of land is occupied by military figures etc.

I only came across it by chance.

A religious chap and I'm not but nevertheless a hero.

Very good doc about him presented by Melvyn Bragg turns up on TV sometimes (in fact freeview PBS america may be showing it soon)

The sign on the grass which repeats the inscription on the plinth.

View attachment 519064
Sometimes you have no idea what has happened around you: a few years back, cycling through some local lanes with farm fields either side, I discovered this.
Near Throwley, Kent.
Pic of bike and field would be nice, but agree with you totally. The bike is the perfect way of discovering these things. Few folk walk any distance along roads and a car discourages folk from stopping, even if they see, or think they have seen, something.
London is great for stopping at things these days. Things you have passed by so often.
Not all cyclists are curious though - a chap whose rides i used to go on would pretty much never stop to look at anything curious we drifted past. I was forever stopping to look at stuff/quickly scan signs and then desperately pedal so i wasn't dropped.
Things you see on a map or read about are also a good excuse for a ride, either route plotted in advance or trusting to the garmin's sometimes odd routeing and enjoying the journey. Being slightly lost is the path to knowledge and enlightenment :smile:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Pic of bike and field would be nice, but agree with you totally. The bike is the perfect way of discovering these things. Few folk walk any distance along roads and a car discourages folk from stopping, even if they see, or think they have seen, something.
London is great for stopping at things these days. Things you have passed by so often.
Not all cyclists are curious though - a chap whose rides i used to go on would pretty much never stop to look at anything curious we drifted past. I was forever stopping to look at stuff/quickly scan signs and then desperately pedal so i wasn't dropped.
Things you see on a map or read about are also a good excuse for a ride, either route plotted in advance or trusting to the garmin's sometimes odd routeing and enjoying the journey. Being slightly lost is the path to knowledge and enlightenment :smile:

Thanks, that's a much better way of describing what I was trying to say.
In the past, the road bike (got to be training all the time) combined with the inability to walk (Look pedals) often meant no stopping.
It's good to have the option of a slow bike, no time pressure, and spd pedals (I can walk): you're able to see a lot more.
Next time I'm around Throwley, I'll try to get a fuller photo.

In the past, the road bike (got to be training all the time) combined with the inability to walk (Look pedals) often meant no stopping.
It's good to have the option of a slow bike, no time pressure, and spd pedals (I can walk): you're able to see a lot more.
Yes a slower bike does help with rides of discovery - though can still do mega miles of course. I used to have a race geared bike - used it a lot when I lead lots of rides - I did get the odd comment about tending to go off at the front a bit - partly it was to reccie turns but in the end it dawned on me that the bike - even though I was doing all the work - no battery - was "driving me" - pushing me up its gears.

Sign about it:

Kennington Common, London.
Maybe I'm being dim (possible) but what I don't understand is that the memorial seems to say 50 or so dead and the sign 100 or so, even though I assume both were put there at pretty much the same time.

(the detailed facts on the event on the memorial are round the sides of the main text though this won't be visible on the pic)

D

Deleted member 26715

Sometimes you have no idea what has happened around you: a few years back, cycling through some local lanes with farm fields either side, I discovered this.
Near Throwley, Kent.
I've lived in the area for most of my life, I knew there were a multitude of temporary airfields built during WW2, but I never knew there was one in the next but 1 village until last year.

Top Bottom