Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's not every day you see a test mule for a nuclear bomb

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

My Boris Bike in front of the Battle of Britain memorial on the Embankment on t'other days ride.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

DRM

Guru

This morning, at the mural memorial for Beryl Burton in her home town of Morley, West Yorkshire

gtmet

Über Member
... ..

How reliable and easy to maintain are those brakes?

A somewhat academic question, since they are the original centre pull brakes, from 1980, so not likely to be found new, and if you have such a machine, you are committed to using them; also I have not had much to do with anything else for decades so have no standard of comparison.

I find them reliable and easy to maintain.

Routine maintenance: replace brake blocks, you will notice that it now has modern long, curved mountain bike V-brake blocks, which, apart from being more effective than the original short brake blocks, look more the part.

Failures: Occasional brake cable breakages, near the levers, or at the clamp above the straddle wires, and straddle wires, probably due to over tightening the clamps on both. I have had a pivot bolt nut come loose and disappear once. They are half thickness nuts but I was able to put an ordinary full thickness nut on in place.

Main annoyance is that the adjustment usually allowed by the adjuster is not enough to consume the whole brake block wear, so you either discard part worn blocks, or unclamp and reclaim the straddle wire, which tends to break the strands.

A somewhat academic question, since they are the original centre pull brakes, from 1980, so not likely to be found new, and if you have such a machine, you are committed to using them; also I have not had much to do with anything else for decades so have no standard of comparison.

I find them reliable and easy to maintain.

Routine maintenance: replace brake blocks, you will notice that it now has modern long, curved mountain bike V-brake blocks, which, apart from being more effective than the original short brake blocks, look more the part.

Failures: Occasional brake cable breakages, near the levers, or at the clamp above the straddle wires, and straddle wires, probably due to over tightening the clamps on both. I have had a pivot bolt nut come loose and disappear once. They are half thickness nuts but I was able to put an ordinary full thickness nut on in place.

Main annoyance is that the adjustment usually allowed by the adjuster is not enough to consume the whole brake block wear, so you either discard part worn blocks, or unclamp and reclaim the straddle wire, which tends to break the strands.

Thanks. I keep getting bikes in the recycling centre like that and I've wondered about recycling one for me: bikes with bottom bar levers often get thrown out.

gtmet

Über Member
Thanks. I keep getting bikes in the recycling centre like that and I've wondered about recycling one for me: bikes with bottom bar levers often get thrown out.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, thinking to be only about the mechanical reliability of the centre pull mechanism. If bottom bar levers means old fashioned Weinmann drop bar levers, then I can also say I find those easy to use, and totally reliable. The basic hand position on the bends or hoods is said to be more natural, and is just behind the levers.

Top Bottom