Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No bike in this one sorry , but you have Blackpool war memorial with Blackpool tower in the background

IMG_20190602_191154691.jpg

IMG_20190605_083026196_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190605_082943173.jpg

Would never even have known this was there if not on a bike. As of course it is easy to stop.

Edit - just noticed the spooky connection to vantage's post just above.

Tis witchcraft.

Edit - it is indeed a glorious view of pendle, particularly if you walk through the field gate opposite. Did try to take a pic in homage to their shared memory but it was somewhat obscured. My dad used to quote a local saying - if you can't see Pendle it's raining, if you can see Pendle it's about to rain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Scaldwell great war memorial .

IMG_20190608_060543803.jpg

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I came across this on my recent trip to Ireland. I've seen white painted ghost bikes numerous times before in London, but they usually look like some old skip find that's been painted white. This looked like a proper decent bike with decent parts, I expect it was the riders actual bike which made it all the more moving. Along with the poem supplied by Siobhan, it was the spare inner tube they'd left for riding in the next life that really choked me up. RIP rider.
2YfkkuN.jpg

CCZfqMS.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Finedon Obelisk

IMG_20190616_070638329.jpg
IMG_20190616_070647299.jpg

This is what Wikipdia has to say about it

The Finedon Obelisk is a monument erected in 1789 to record the blessings of the year by Sir John English Dolben, the fourth and last of the Dolben baronets and lord of the manor of Finedon. The blessings are thought to include the return to sanity of George III. The 23 April 1789 was appointed a day of thanksgiving to commemorate the event, which in Finedon was celebrated with bell ringing, fireworks and the firing of cannon.

Top Bottom