Memory Map user guide with 2 great tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been using Memory Map software to plot my cycle routes for 10 years. The software can be a bit of a pain but I stick with it because I love the fact that I have one huge digital OS Landranger map covering the whole UK (minus N.I.).

The software has recently been updated and there is at last an auto-routing function. It can be a bit hit and miss but with care it is possible to use that to reduce the amount of work involved in plotting long routes.

It is possible to plot routes in two different ways. One way, unsurprisingly, is as 'Routes' which are made up of segments between named waypoints. The other way is as 'Tracks' which are simply collections of straightline segments linked together.

Memory Map allows you to do certain things to routes but not to tracks and vice versa. For example, you can reverse routes but you can't reverse tracks. You can split and join tracks but you can't do either to routes. You can edit routes quite simply by moving waypoints about, including inserting extra ones mid-route if necessary.

Routes can be converted to tracks, and tracks can be converted to routes. Because of the limitations mentioned above, this is often done just to use the functionality available to the other type.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
One very annoying thing that can happen when converting a track to a route is that the route ends up not following exactly the same path, but a simplified version instead.

Another annoying thing is when trying to join 2 separate tracks to make one longer one. If you don't start the second one close enough to the end of the first one then the software refuses to join them. For 10 years I have been cursing and adding little segments into gaps between tracks to persuade the software to join them. It has been a right faff!

Anyway, I found a handy guide today -
HERE. There are 2 really useful related tips which I thought I would mention here for other Memory Map users who have been as frustrated as me ...

Right click on a track to bring up a menu, and from that select 'Properties' to display a dialog box. You will see a data field labelled 'Min update distance'. Set that to a biggish distance, say 200 metres, to make it easy to join tracks without being forced to align their ends. Set it to a small distance, ideally zero, to maintain the course of tracks when converting them to routes.

Knowing that 10 years ago would have saved me hours of wasted effort!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Currently (12th July 2016), the Landranger version of the Memory Map software is available as a download for the amazingly low price of £50 - HERE. You can install it on 5 devices, say a desktop computer, a laptop, a phone, a tablet, and a compatible GPS (NB NOT your typical Garmins. They use a different version of the map.)

It takes over 200 paper Landranger maps to cover the UK, and they cost about £8 each so that is some saving! I love the paper maps, and I have the paper maps for where I live, but it is great having the whole UK available in digital form.

So, if you use Memory Map and like me have suffered from NJTAORS (Non-Joining Tracks And Oversimplified Routes Syndrome), you need suffer no more! :okay:

If you have NOT looked at Memory Map, consider doing so while the special offer lasts!

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I have been using Memory Map software to plot my cycle routes for 10 years. The software can be a bit of a pain but I stick with it because I love the fact that I have one huge digital OS Landranger map covering the whole UK (minus N.I.).

The software has recently been updated and there is at last an auto-routing function. It can be a bit hit and miss but with care it is possible to use that to reduce the amount of work involved in plotting long routes.

Thanks for this. I was still using version 5.4.2 :blush:

[And the whole GB 1:25,000 may just become an early Yule present to myself]

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks for this. I was still using version 5.4.2 :blush:

[And the whole GB 1:25,000 may just become an early Yule present to myself]
I was too, until a few months ago. I got a special upgrade price then of (I think) £75. At the time, the new version was a lot more than that. Now, everybody can get it for £50, Oh well ...

I am tempted by the 1:25,000 version too. 1:50,000 is perfect for road rides, but the extra detail of 1:25,000 is better for offroad rides and walks.

The only problem with using the 1:25,000 version on a mobile device could be the sheer size of the map file unless you have a lot of internal storage, or your device has a memory card slot for expansion.

I'm not sure if these new low prices are permanent. They have been advertising them for a couple of months but I have seen similar price cuts disappear suddenly in the past.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I decided to take my own advice and buy the 1:25,000 map of GB while the reduced prices apply. It is a lot more than the 1:50,000 version, but £120 is a similar bargain.

I am just trying to work out how to download the map data now!

PS Ah, it does the download in chunks in the 2016 version. (The online store says it is because of the size of the map files.) I scrolled the 'map' about and it has compiled a list of missing blocks of map which it is now downloading.

I have plenty of space on my windows pcs but I wonder if it is possible to load only the chunks you want on a device with restricted storage, like a phone or tablet? For example, a 150 km square centred on where you are going on holiday. That could be handy.

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I decided to take my own advice and buy the 1:25,000 map of GB while the reduced prices apply. It is a lot more than the 1:50,000 version, but £120 is a similar bargain.

I am just trying to work out how to download the map data now!

PS Ah, it does the download in chunks in the 2016 version. (The online store says it is because of the size of the map files.) I scrolled the 'map' about and it has compiled a list of missing blocks of map which it is now downloading.

I have plenty of space on my windows pcs but I wonder if it is possible to load only the chunks you want on a device with restricted storage, like a phone or tablet? For example, a 150 km square centred on where you are going on holiday. That could be handy.
I've got the 1:25k on my phone. As you say, it's much better for walking and off road since it marks field boundaries as well as going in closer.

When I first installed it, I painstakingly downloaded all the data for the whole of the UK. Then I accidentally deleted the lot whilst clearing out my SD card. I can therefore confirm that it only downloads the squares you look at.

Incidentally, I'm looking again at the official OS app as an alternative to Memory Map as they've recently changed it so you can subscribe to the map (and don't need to keep buying it again when stuff inevitably changes) and they also have a much better route plotter.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Typical ... I dither about for months trying to decide whether to buy the Memory Map Explorer GB map, finally make the decision, splash out £120, and only then discover the OS subscription for £19.99 a year! :laugh:

Oh well, if I use the MM version for 7 years or more, I will be quids in! :okay: (I don't think footpaths and bridleways change so often that my 2016 digital map will be significantly out of date before 2023.)

I have now downloaded the map blocks for the whole country. The Scilly Isles and Scottish islands are included but for some reason, the Isle of Man seems to be missing. It is on the Landranger version so I am not sure what the reason is for the omission ...

I am now transferring a copy of the huge digital map (nearly 10 GB - the 'HD' version is nearly 3 times that size!) to the SD card on my phone and it is taking ages using a USB2 connection. (The upload dialog box initially said that it would take 2.5 hours, but it is looking more like 40 minutes now.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Damn - the copy operation eventually aborted! I'm wondering whether the format on the SD card can support 10 GB files? If it can't then I will have to split the country back up into a few smaller chunks. Ho hum ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Get a bigger sd card?
It has 25+ GB free on it. I'm fairly sure that the problem occurred when the copy reached 4 GB which can be a file size limit, depending on how the card is formatted. Clicking drive 'properties' isn't very helpful - it just describes the card as having a 'generic hierachical' file system. Stupid software to not check the file size before attempting the copy! It should be possible to determine the maximum file size before beginning the operation, abort at the start and explain to the user what the problem was.

Anyway, I am in the process of splitting GB up into Northern Scotland, Southern Scotland, Northern England, Wales and English Midlands, and Southern England, with generous overlaps between them in case I ever end up crossing from one area to another.

That should solve the problem for the phone. I don't have enough internal storage space on my tablet to save more than one or two of those areas, but I might be able to use a large capacity flash stick plugged into an OTG adapter for that.

Ok - the file size for the Northern Scotland area that I defined is only 2.3 GB. I'll try copying that to the phone and see how I get on ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

An update: I discovered that I had not fully downloaded the various map blocks so I was having problems when I scrolled/zoomed the map to areas that were incomplete.

I found THIS official online map repository. It contains all the map files that you should need. You still need the MM licence to make them work so it is legit; it is just a convenient place to download the maps from. (If your file system allows files that big then you can download a file for the entire country at 1:25,000 scale.)

I am having an annoying seemingly random problem with MM which I am trying to get to the bottom of. (I've tried their support system and not had a fix for it yet so I am trying to figure out for myself what is going on.)

I may try installing the software on my new laptop and see if it works properly on that. It is currently on my old laptop, but I am licensed for 5 devices so it would be okay to have it on both.

The problem is that sometimes when the software boots it will take 35 seconds every time I change map scale. If it is doing that, then it does it every time until the software is rebooted. Sometimes it boots fine, and then it will work perfectly until the software is shut down. I change scale a LOT so a 35 second delay every time is a complete PITA.

robgul

Legendary Member
I too am a long-term (12 years or so) MM user but have been frustrated by the usually poor level of support and "it's not our fault" stance.

Slowness seems to be a creeping issue as time passes from the original install date - every now and again I save all my maps/routes etc on an external drive and then delete and reinstall the software (you need to do more than just delete it as there lots of Register Keys that remain - they need to be removed to get the performance back up to scratch) Somewhere I have some detailed instructions - if you want a copy drop me a note.

... and am trying some of 1-25 maps from the download

Rob

robgul

Legendary Member
. . . and reading through the thread again - have to say I find the digital map shop thing and its arcane licence process a PITA - with the exception of the OS-SV and some Belgian maps that you can only get as downloads I've bought physical disks (that's OS 1-50, France IGN 1-100 and 1-250, London A-Z) - they cost a bit more but you have them with no download interruption (or bandwidth usage) issues.

The 1-10,000 UK map is pretty good too - I have a download that took eons of time to do - I'm tempted to buy the physical version next time it's updated.

Rob

Top Bottom