Tips for cycling in York...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next week I'm visiting parents in York with Beautiful Daughter, who is eight years old, and will be coming to the UK for the first time.

I'm keen to show her around the city; is there anywhere that possibly rents bicycles for children vaguely locally? How safe is it for cycling with children? She's fairly traffic savvy although having vehicles coming on the other side of the road may take getting used to.

She's also very active and insatiably curious, so it's going to be a challenge keeping her occupied. I've already found several playgrounds within walking distance, and Grandma, a former kindergarten teacher, has found activities in the city, but any suggestions are welcome...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’d say you might find cycling frustrating given volume of tourists. You might like to do a walking tour of the snickleways of York.

http://snickelways.co.uk/

Mark’s guide is excellent, which I bought in 84 when a student at the University of York.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1871125774/ref=olp-opf-redir?aod=1

geocycle

Legendary Member
National railway museum, snickleways and walk round the walls are good free options. Yorkshire museum has good Roman collection and in pleasant park. Cycling into the city is possible but not what you are used to in Germany. Bus services are relatively good for uk. Check what is on at the theatre for kids.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Some lovely flat lanes to the east of York.. stockton in the forest...

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Cycle Heaven next to the Train Station in York rents bikes out but I dont know if they do kids ones?. You could contact them and ask? York has a lot of cycle lanes. Its nice down by the river yoiu can ride on the cycle path towards Selby from there. Its very relaxed and nice.
Obviously it depends on what your daughter likes but I personally wouldnt drag an 8 years old girl to the National Railway Museum unless it was very much her type of thing.

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Andy, What I'd do is ask on the York Facebook page as well regarding bikes to hire. You may get someone saying you can use ours for the week etc or have other suggestions we dont know about.

Top Bottom