Tips for cycling in York...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’d say you might find cycling frustrating given volume of tourists. You might like to do a walking tour of the snickleways of York.

http://snickelways.co.uk/

I have the book, & have walked it myself

Daughter has just finished at St Johns University
(the old religious college, on Lord Mayors Walk)

Mark’s guide is excellent, which I bought in 84 when a student at the University of York.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1871125774/ref=olp-opf-redir?aod=1

DRM

Guru
for a nice treat go to Brew & Brownie for breakfast & coffee, but get there early https://brewandbrownie.uk/

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Most places now to eat out are not cheap especially in York. If you want cheap then you need to be taking a packed lunch/picnic of some description. Or going to a bakers like Greggs, Cooplands etc.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I have never understood the fascination with Betty's, people queue outside in all weather's waiting for a table, its a cafe there are hundreds in York, ignore the hype.

Its the fact it very traditional inside etc and the food/drink is quite nice etc. Its the experience of a traditional English teashop that sells it. The staff are all dressed up as well if I remember it correctly?

Gwylan

Veteran
We were there last week for a couple of days.
Not the easiest cycle. Mostly because of the sheer volume of pedestrians in the centre.

Lots of places to chain your bikes and then explore. We used the heavy chains and padlocks.
But local friends suggested it was unwise to leave them long.

Around the town lots of cycle paths. A lot of that unicorn of cycling, the white line painted on the road to create a cycle path. NOT!

Lots to see and do, hopefully to entertain your travelling companion.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have never understood the fascination with Betty's, people queue outside in all weather's waiting for a table, its a cafe there are hundreds in York, ignore the hype.

indeed, plenty of other tea shops with shady courtyard gardens etc which I would go to. But as a reply to the overpriced cafe linked, if you are a tourist and going to be "over charged" you might was well be paying for a premium for the historic building / atmosphere / heritage etc.

Mike_P

Guru
We were there last week for a couple of days.
Not the easiest cycle. Mostly because of the sheer volume of pedestrians in the centre.

Lots of places to chain your bikes and then explore. We used the heavy chains and padlocks.
But local friends suggested it was unwise to leave them long.

Around the town lots of cycle paths. A lot of that unicorn of cycling, the white line painted on the road to create a cycle path. NOT!

Lots to see and do, hopefully to entertain your travelling companion.
Have always avoided the centre, the nearest being on the numbered loop route. Yes some on road cycle lanes but plenty of off road ones. That on the numbered loop between 16 and 18 being along an old railway. Would suggest the Solar way is a must if the distance is okay.

Top Bottom