Tips for cycling in York...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Haven't done it for a few years but I recall there being a couple of outdoor cafes on the Solar Way.
Personally, I think it's worth paying to go to Cycle Heaven cafe. The cakes are out of this world and they do a fab spicy beans on toast if you fancy a bit of lunch.
Just down from Cycle Heaven there is an ice cream "van" which is a boat on the river which your daughter might enjoy

ukbabz

Veteran
There was one by the river in February when I rode it. The surface was really good and didn't have any issues on my road bike (25mm tyres) either

Alongside the river, down to the Millennium Bridge.
Maybe MoonBunny can get you VIP entry into the NRM.

Yes, thats a nice little route, can get a little muddy though?
(I refer to my post ages ago when i narrowly avoided a large group of Japanese tourists, on said narrowing path, and ended up, clipped in, on the deck head to toe in mud). My fault, overly ambitious on a road bike :blush:

Have always avoided the centre, the nearest being on the numbered loop route. Yes some on road cycle lanes but plenty of off road ones. That on the numbered loop between 16 and 18 being along an old railway. Would suggest the Solar way is a must if the distance is okay.

Yes, the solar looks good; I've even cycled bits of it last time I was there. As an added advantage there are loads of playgrounds on the route so Tinybug will be very happy.

Only problem is getting hold of a good lock or three...

Yes, thats a nice little route, can get a little muddy though?
(I refer to my post ages ago when i narrowly avoided a large group of Japanese tourists, on said narrowing path, and ended up, clipped in, on the deck head to toe in mud). My fault, overly ambitious on a road bike :blush:

Not a problem, as Beautiful Daughter can shout "Look out!" in Japanese.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Think they may only open on days of peak useage (Sundays), maybe @Spiderweb can advise as it's a regular route of his.
I can definitely recommend Naburn Marina for a cafe stop. You’ll cross the bridge (the one with the sculpture thing on top) over the River Ouse then take the first exit to your left (signed Fulford, the blue sign is a bit dirty) drop down to the steel railings by the road and turn right, Naburn marina is about 250 meters on your right through the gates. It’s lovely inside but you can sit outside by the river and watch the boats.
View below of the Ouse from the bridge at Naburn. You can sometimes spot the odd Kingfisher.

IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_7673.jpeg

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Why would you want to cycle round a tip in York?

Joking aside, the confusing cycle lane provision on James Street, near the city household waste recycling centre has to be seen to be believed. 1/10 - would not recommend.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Re Betty's - North Allerton is the best.

I always preferred Little Betty's on Stonegate in York, or 'Taylors' as those who remembered it before the re-brand in the 90's still called it. There was always a queue but it was indoors and rarely took long to get a table. Sadly it bought the dust post-covid because reduced visitor numbers couldn't make it pay any more.

If you're doing the Planets route, or find yourself cycling through Bishopthorpe I can highly recommend But First for a breakfast/lunch/cake stop. It's also conveniently next door to Twisted Cogs cycle repair shop in case of emergencies

Hi Andy,

you might want to contact Recycle, in York.
https://recycleyork.co.uk/
Nice people, and they may be able to accommodate you with two, second hand bikes for the cost of hiring them. Or one bike plus attached kids ‘pull along’. If you tell them you’ll be donating them back to the shop when finished, they may even give you a deal.
Good luck!

They were already on my "to visit" list but that's a good idea as well...

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have never understood the fascination with Betty's, people queue outside in all weather's waiting for a table, its a cafe there are hundreds in York, ignore the hype.
I used to like Taylor’s in Stonegate which became Little Betty’s, then closed in the pandemic. The best table was at the back with across roofs to Minster. Unfortunately it was also the smoking room! Big Betty’s is ok but a lot less personal. The maitre d’ in both places were formidable, quite an experience.

Top Bottom