Men in tights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
.....and I'm coming up to 62, if people don't like what they see tough

eevvee

And I'm also 61 cycling for nearly 3 months now and the tights were a great buy - and following the commando advice on this thread by far the best way

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
My wife has been feeling my tights (!). Commenting on the pad thingy she said why don't they just make the saddles more comfortable? Genius! But why don't they?

It is my impression that riding commando would be the same as riding in the buff or your birthday suit :eek: .
Trust me it's not.
My wife has been feeling my tights (!). Commenting on the pad thingy she said why don't they just make the saddles more comfortable? Genius! But why don't they?
Usually weight, you can get saddles that are more comfortable, but they usually weigh more, which is ok for general use, but if your trying to make the bike lighter not so, the choice of shorts/bibs is down to the rider

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Trust me it's not.

Usually weight, you can get saddles that are more comfortable, but they usually weigh more, which is ok for general use, but if your trying to make the bike lighter not so, the choice of shorts/bibs is down to the rider

The reason that you wear padded shorts rather than use a "comfy" saddle is not down to weight, it is because the pad in the shorts moves with your anatomy, a saddle doesn't move with you, you move against it, hence you would be more likely to chafe over longer distances.

The reason that you wear padded shorts rather than use a "comfy" saddle is not down to weight, it is because the pad in the shorts moves with your anatomy, a saddle doesn't move with you, you move against it, hence you would be more likely to chafe over longer distances.
Suppose that's why the W.N.B.Rides are only 6-8 to miles then. :smile:

Maylian

Veteran
I love my bib shorts, I love my bib tights when its really cold or raining. I super love my tri-suits for all occassions since it sucks me in so I think I look a bit more toned than normal. Fortunately my girfriend loves them and calls them my onesies, people at work give me odd looks as I clop through the office to the showers each day but I put that down to jealousy!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Exactly! The reason many people find a Brooks comfortable is not that it is softer, it is because it fits, or has become fitted to your anatomy. The pad forms a friction barrier between your behind and the saddle. It moves with you. Underpants are not a good idea in that they can interfere with that barrier, and allow you to move against the pad, creating chafing. Some give in the saddle might be desirable to dampen vibration, but NOT softness.

Top Bottom