Merlin Cycles after sales service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
I use whatever I’ve got to hand but for choice a semi fluid type is best, I believe, for hubs.

Another argument for buying local, from a LBS you would otherwise have had an (ideally positive) relationship with. The returns process is the unseen cost of 'cheap' internet buying, when all the costs and hassle of returns are accounted for, it might well have been cheaper to take the higher price locally. When we don't buy local, we also run the risk of losing the 'free' informal services, experience, know-how, and pragmatic problem solving a local shop can provide. Especially the kind that distant shoulder-shrugging warehouse internet sellers cannot replicate. That's not to say it always works to your advantage financially, but many don't think about this at all before commiting to buy from remote merchants. Thankfully, the issue was easily solved on this occasion with minimal expense, I've personally been fortunate not to have to return much stuff bought online, but have always been glad of the LBS assistance when it was warranted. :okay:

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another argument for buying local, from a LBS you would otherwise have a (hopefully positive) relationship with. This is the unseen cost of 'cheap' internet buying. That's not to say it always works to your advantage financially, but many don't think about this at great length before commiting to buy from remote merchants. Thankfully, the issue is easily solved on this occasion with minimal expense, I've personally been fortunate not to have to return much stuff, but always been glad of the LBS assistance when it was warranted. :okay:
I am the opposite, distance selling regulations can protect you far more, plus in the OPs case, I would be having Merlin pay the postage for the return.

I am the opposite, distance selling regulations can protect you far more, plus in the OPs case, I would be having Merlin pay the postage for the return.
I refined my response just after you started quoting, but yes, that's a consideration. Buying from amazon used to be great, their customer service used to be second to none, no quibble returns. These days, I've had no end of problems, and lots more shoulder shrugging. But the problem is that beast has consumed the local and boutique retailers, and there is often is no local alternative. That's the risk we take when we rely on remote buyers. What is true today in terms of distance selling regs may not be the case once the market is captured. One of the downsides of Brexit is that the govt. is considering chucking out those regs.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Going back to Merlin have bought a lot off them in the past but recently seem to be going more and more to Tredz.

Merlin, it appears to me, look to be concentrating on more exoctic stuff than I need and no longer appear to stock any "low end" stuff for people keeping a budget runner on the road.

Like the poster earlier would like to buy from an LBS but unfortunately none left in the vicinity!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Another argument for buying local, from a LBS you would otherwise have had an (ideally positive) relationship with. The returns process is the unseen cost of 'cheap' internet buying, when all the costs and hassle of returns are accounted for, it might well have been cheaper to take the higher price locally. When we don't buy local, we also run the risk of losing the 'free' informal services, experience, know-how, and pragmatic problem solving a local shop can provide. Especially the kind that distant shoulder-shrugging warehouse internet sellers cannot replicate. That's not to say it always works to your advantage financially, but many don't think about this at all before commiting to buy from remote merchants. Thankfully, the issue was easily solved on this occasion with minimal expense, I've personally been fortunate not to have to return much stuff bought online, but have always been glad of the LBS assistance when it was warranted. :okay:

Absolutely agree. 100%. The relationship with an LBS has a value which cannot be measured in ££££. I buy everything I possibly can from my LBS because the help, advice and friendship I receive cannot be bought anywhere. Try bobbing in to Merlin for some help with a derailleur problem - fixed while I drank coffee. Or the time I mentioned I'd entered the 312 - immediately coffee and 90 minutes chat on training. Buy that at Wiggle?

Online the last two things I've bought were an HRM strap and some Chain Juice lube.

Online is great for fridges and washing machines. For bikes? Nope. Never.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Absolutely agree. 100%. The relationship with an LBS has a value which cannot be measured in ££££. I buy everything I possibly can from my LBS because the help, advice and friendship I receive cannot be bought anywhere. Try bobbing in to Merlin for some help with a derailleur problem - fixed while I drank coffee. Or the time I mentioned I'd entered the 312 - immediately coffee and 90 minutes chat on training. Buy that at Wiggle?

Online the last two things I've bought were an HRM strap and some Chain Juice lube.

Apart from when no LBS has what you want, I reckon at least half of the parts I buy just aren't available from any shop near me and even when it comes to more standard stuff, if you're happy to pay two or three times as much to support your local shop, good on you but I'm not.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Apart from when no LBS has what you want, I reckon at least half of the parts I buy just aren't available from any shop near me and even when it comes to more standard stuff, if you're happy to pay two or three times as much to support your local shop, good on you but I'm not.
I've never experienced my LBS charging two or three times the internet rate. While I don't buy much in the way of parts, I have no need, I've also never found I can't get or have ordered in what I need.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Bought all my bikes online with no problems. I’ll buy tyres, tubes, cassettes and chains online to fit myself but would use a bike shop for things I can’t manage.

I’ve had no problems with Merlin but have never had to deal with a fault or return an item so cannot comment.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Bought all my bikes online with no problems. I’ll buy tyres, tubes, cassettes and chains online to fit myself but would use a bike shop for things I can’t manage.

I’ve had no problems with Merlin but have never had to deal with a fault or return an item so cannot comment.
Yes, I know it works for many. My problem is I'm not mechanically minded or competent nor can I do it. I need the advice and support to make sure my bikes are as they should be.

I can't for example, set up gears. Well I can but it would take hours and still be rubbish! :laugh:

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Fair enough if you can't do your own repairs but you really do save a fortune buying parts on line, last week I fitted a new chain, sprocket & tyres to my winter fixed, total cost £18, cheapest tyres my LBS have are £20 each, they have no 1/8" chains but the chains they do have start at £16 and they have no sprockets but I'd guess that would be another £15 or so if they ordered one in. So, 18 quid on line delivered to my door or circa 70 quid from my LBS.
To be fair I do tend to get through quite a few parts and when I see a good offer on tyres, chains, cables etc. I'll stock up, i.e I'll be fitting some Rubino Pro's on my best bike today which I paid 10 quid each for when they were on offer about two years ago, my LBS has them in stock at £39.99.

Top Bottom