Merlin Cycles after sales service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bought a pair of wheels for my winter fixed from Merlin, they've had a about six weeks use, 1000 miles or so and the sealed bearings on the back one are going already (play in them and notchy). So e mailed Merlin and asked if they'd send me a couple of new bearings (couple of quids worth), as they seem to have an actual physical shop I assumed they'd have a workshop with basic consumable parts on the shelf.
They've replied that they don't keep bearings and if I 'believe' there's a problem with the wheel I'll need to send it back. I've told them that as I can buy half a dozen bearings for what it would cost me to return the wheel (plus the time without a wheel) I'll just sort it myself.
Anyone had any experience with them, I'm not inclined to use them again.

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve bought from Merlin for years without a problem.
until
A couple of years ago son bought a bike from them. I got to see it after he had owned it a few weeks. It has mechanical disc brakes and I felt they were very poor. I tried to improve them with little success. I found a spec sheet, on the web, for them and looking at the fitting instructions they had been fitted without any cable adjuster as advised in the instructions. I got in touch with Merlin and told them my findings and about the manufacturers fitting instructions.
No interest from them and wouldn’t even put two adjusters in the post to keep me happy. Changed my opinion of them since then.

Top tip with any new wheels first thing to do is strip them down, grease, adjust and make sure any seals are perfect.

I think for best service - use your LBS and pay their prices. If you want to shop around and get best value - then you'll always struggle if things go wrong. That's how they keep the price low. I would sort the bearings yourself. I wouldn't rule out using Merlin in future - I've never had any issues.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Standard procedure to ask for stuff back though. Now, if it was a manufacturer, like Hope, then they'd do it, but Merlin will get your wheel, inspect, then send that back to the manufacturer. It's also a way of monitoring product reliability.

Merlin has moved away from LBS model to a parts distribution model. If it available online, you will get it fast with no issues. I remember in the early years they used to sell spares meant and packaged for workshops and not meant for sale to consumers. It was cheaper so I bought it from them, items throw into a plastic and boxed. I always wondered how they got away with it from their part suppliers like Shimano.

I note that they don't sell bearings online.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
I think for best service - use your LBS and pay their prices. If you want to shop around and get best value - then you'll always struggle if things go wrong. That's how they keep the price low. I would sort the bearings yourself. I wouldn't rule out using Merlin in future - I've never had any issues.
I did actually check with the three bike shops nearest to me, none of them had anything in stock. I'll pop down to the bearing place and get some decent quality ones when I've got a mo.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
They have asked for you to return the product, If that was offered to me the wheel would of gone straight back.
The choice is pay about a tenner and be without a wheel for several weeks or sort it myself in a couple of hours for less money. I assumed they'd be able to just bung a couple of bearings in the post to save us both hassle but obviously mistook the type of operation they are.

OldShep

Über Member
That will invalidate any warranty.
What sort of thing would you claim with a wheel warranty?
Shouldn't be bearing related if you’ve personally improved on their initial production. Like the OP I wouldn’t be a****d to send them back for bearings.
Cracked hub or rim, broken spokes I haven’t touched them and nobody handling the claim is going to take the hub apart and see an alien grease in there.

Chislenko

Veteran
I returned a computer to them which had stopped working. They made no attempt to repair / replace but my credit card had the money refunded within 48 hours.

As someone has stated I think they just supply and if something goes wrong just send it back to manufacturer for them to look at.

NB. The really annoying thing is I purchased the next model up elsewhere and that doesn't work either so I could have kept the cheaper one which I was happy with.

Turns out to be Bluetooth connectivity on latest Motorola phones, there is a raft of Bluetooth complaints on the Lenovo forum. (Bike computer works with older phone I found out too late!!)

The choice is pay about a tenner and be without a wheel for several weeks or sort it myself in a couple of hours for less money. I assumed they'd be able to just bung a couple of bearings in the post to save us both hassle but obviously mistook the type of operation they are.
Buying on line is a bit of a gamble when there is a problem.
But I agree it would be simple just to supply some bearings via courier.

I guess most of these business now buy in and sell out the back door.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
I have just got a sett of wheels off them , I’m thinking that maybe worth checking bearings ,
The ones I got were factory built so I wouldn't have expected any supplier to have done anything to them prior to despatch, I always whack some extra grease in any new hubs.

Top Bottom