Message for the more "rounded" ladies out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
wafflycat said:
+2

I am reminded of an 'incident' at a cycling event several years ago.

Rant mode coming up.

[rant]

It was the Bungay crits one year. There was a race where one of the contestants was a very overweight bloke. I was one of many spectators at the various races during the course of the day. During this particular race, a couple of skinny, best Assos-Lycra-clad blokes were standing next to me. During the race they made many loud and *nasty* comments about the very overweight bloke out there on his steed competing. They were *horrible* My thoughts on those guys was that they were a nasty pair - at least the overweight bloke had got up off his backside and was out there giving it a go; unlike the skinny pair standing alongside me. The comments they were making spoke volumes about them - and those volumes were not pleasant reading. Folk complain about the overweight, calling them lazy, etc., etc., and only if they got up off their lazy fat arses and got exercising then they wouldn't be so fat.. yet when someone is actually doing some sort of exercise, then they get ridiculed (either to their face or behind their backs) & how offensive they are to see. Folk just can't win, can they.

[/rant]

Ta muchly - normal service will now be resumed.

I have to agree, as someone who started ycling at 34 stone, the comments, looks, sneers etc were even worse than the comments I got when I was sat on my ass at 40 stone doing nothing !

brokenbetty

Über Member
I take your point - next time I go out I'll leave the chubby 36 year old body at home and put the svelte 21 year old one on instead.

Oh - I've only got this one. Guess I'll just have to wear my clothes on the body I've got, and you'll just have to put up with it. Sorry. :becool:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Slightly off the cycling topic, but NigC does have a valid point.

There is this crazy tendency, affecting both sexes (though ladies more), to follow every fashion that comes along.

Skinny jeans, low cut jeans that show boxer shorts, short tops that show the belly buttons area, those long jeans from a couple of years ago that were ripped around the heel area and dragged on the floor.

These are distasteful (to me) enough on a slim body, but on a fat body they're ridiculous. Why don't people think about the clothing they wear.

I ain't no slim jim, so I simply don't wear body hugging slim fit t-shirts - even though they're currently perceived as cool.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Course, we could just stop being so judgemental.
I'm not the skinniest bloke ever, and I probably look ridiculous in Lycra.
And if you tell me so, I'll ride your feckin' legs off.
[/rant]

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Surely there is no problem with people of all shapes and sizes cycling ... the only thing in doubt is perhaps whether they are wearing appropriate clothing to keep everything under control:biggrin:

The ones I notice are the ones who look really chic on their bikes.... and wish I could achieve the same look.

dondare

Über Member
And while we're about it can't some of the really ugly blokes wear a bag on their heads? Some of us have finer feelings, y'know.

shippers

On a slightly different note, I'm really annoyed by the lack of cycling stuff for the larger gentleman.
I'm about 6 foot 1, 46 inch chest. In normal person clothes I'm XL or sometimes L. Go on cycle websites and I'm in the realms of XXL, which you tend not to find in sales.

GrasB

Veteran
summerdays said:
Surely there is no problem with people of all shapes and sizes cycling ... the only thing in doubt is perhaps whether they are wearing appropriate clothing to keep everything under control:biggrin:

The ones I notice are the ones who look really chic on their bikes.... and wish I could achieve the same look.

+1 by all means get on your bike & ride but when you choose your clothing please consider what other people will see. This isn't just people who are over weight. Yes you may be a rather attractive woman in all honesty I don't want to see half your bottom hanging out of your trousers because you thought hipster jeans were a good idea to cycle in. I could say the same thing about the clothes people walk about in normally, some people are wearing stuff that reveals more than most people would consider socially acceptable.

dondare

Über Member
GrasB said:
+1 by all means get on your bike & ride but when you choose your clothing please consider what other people will see. This isn't just people who are over weight. Yes you may be a rather attractive woman in all honesty I don't want to see half your bottom hanging out of your trousers because you thought hipster jeans were a good idea to cycle in. I could say the same thing about the clothes people walk about in normally, some people are wearing stuff that reveals more than most people would consider socially acceptable.

This gentleman of the road disagrees.

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Course, we could just stop being so judgemental.
I'm not the skinniest bloke ever, and I probably look ridiculous in Lycra.
And if you tell me so, I'll ride your feckin' legs off.
[/rant]

*:wacko:* so if I tell you you look silly in lycra will that make you pedal faster to try and keep up with me? :smile:

wafflycat

GrasB said:

:wacko:

We'll all wear our burkhas just to be on the safe side, in case sensitive souls such as you are offended by the sight of those of us who are less than physically perfect.. :smile:

dondare

Über Member
Perhaps there should be a legally enforceable weight limit for people on bikes.

Somewhere there is a local law that fat ladies can't wear bikinis in public but I can't remember where. Might be in America.

Top Bottom