Met office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuitfrisky

so the past three weekends I have gone out on the crap day and missed out on sunny days thanks to the met office being unable to accurately advise on the weather more than two hours ahead
Happened again this weekend and I have decided to not ride which is not good.

Don't mind riding in the rain, but not every weekend.

I keep an eye on the weather but always make a decision based on how it looks that day and not what they predict. Sometimes if you want to get out you're going to get wet.

OP
OP
Biscuitfrisky

Biscuitfrisky

I try to, but telling the rest of the family that all plans are subject to the cycling weather conditions doesn't always go down to well.

I normally try to commit Friday morning at the latest and even then the weather still buggers me up.

Yes it's a struggle. I've got a 10 year old football, cricket and golf playing son so I just have to go whenever I can nowadays so maybe that's why I tend to take very little notice of the weather until I get the opportunity to get out.

Ganymede

Veteran
The Met office is RUBBISH. This site is useful for last minute decisions - real-time satellite: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I've posted about this before and there's a norwegian weather site that is popular - Mr G swears by meteoblue. None are exact but the met is pretty bad.

Also: there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing! (I know that's not true of cycling so much, especially with high winds, but I try to live by it to some extent!)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
They predicted it would be horrible here this weekend and I wouldn't have minded if they had been wrong, unfortunately they were right!

And each Christmas Mr Summerdays pays for the premium version of Rain Today.

andyfraser

Über Member
The forecast for my area was for nice weather yesterday morning then rain and wind for the rest of the weekend. It's been very accurate. And my OH decided to arrange for our new table to be delivered yesterday morning. And they arrived with 2 minutes of morning left just as the weather was changing so I haven't been out this weekend. :sad:

It's so windy out there at the moment that I wouldn't be surprised to look out of the window and find our entire garden has blown away!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I check all the different weather sites and apps and stick with the best one...

And then take a waterproof jacket as well.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I find the BBC weather app to be more accurate than the Meat(sic) Office.

Me too. We're a small island sandwiched between a large ocean and a large continent, quickly changing weather is the result. A few days out I find the forecast changes a fair bit but get down to, say, 48 hours and BBC's forecast is pretty solid

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Errr... The BBC's forecast is the Met Office's forecast.

All the forecast sites these days havae mistaken precision for accuracy. You can make an accurate forecast (and my experience is that all the sites are pretty good at that), but some of them make the mistake of presenting it as a precise forecast.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can forecast the weather accurately. If I plan on cycling, or its motorised cousin, then it will be wet. If I don't plan such activities, it will be dry. I am famous with family and friends for being uncannily accurate.

I gave up trying to play golf many years ago because EVERY time I picked up my clubs, the rain came on. Unreal. Mind you, I do live in the west of Scotland, where forecasting the weather is easy. It's going to rain, mostly.

Top Bottom