Met office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Then why is it so often different, so often a more realistic prediction of the weather that actually occurs?

On my kindle just now so can't do a screen print, but look at the bottom of the BBC weather home page and you should see this:

BBC WEATHER IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE MET OFFICE

OP
OP
Biscuitfrisky

Biscuitfrisky

i agree that apart from a bad crosswind I should still be out riding still.

I don't think its the accuracy to the hour but rather Saturday will be dry/fine and Sunday will be Rain, that sort of thing.

Just seems recently the days have been mixed around in the South East recently

so the past three weekends I have gone out on the crap day and missed out on sunny days thanks to the met office being unable to accurately advise on the weather more than two hours ahead
Happened again this weekend and I have decided to not ride which is not good.

Don't mind riding in the rain, but not every weekend.

The weather forecasts from the BBC, are hilarious. More than once, I've been watching their fancy animations, based on their new 40 million (licence payers) pound super computer, and it's been showing heavy rain and blowing a hooley, now if they'd have bothered looking out of the window, they'd have seen what was actually happening (usually the polar opposite IME). They could have saved themselves a huge amount of money, and invested in a ZX spectrum. It would probably be more accurate. For the record, I abandoned a guided ride I was supposed to be taking to Bournemouth today, based on another one of their works of fiction. It's nowhere near as bad as they said it would be.:gun:

byegad

Legendary Member
I use, on different machines and at different times, The Met Office, BBC, Accuweather and The Weather Channel. It is fairly common for none of them to give the same prediction for today! The best way to find out what it's going to do tomorrow is wait 24hrs!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Then why is it so often different, so often a more realistic prediction of the weather that actually occurs?
I dunno. If you could temporarily sever the connection between your eyes and your genitalia you might find you'd be able to ask the BBC.

It's probably something like the Met Office website taking a direct feed from the forecast while the Beeb has some human intervention.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Rain Alarm is very useful, enables you to make a pretty good prediction of where the rain will be in the next few hours - for example you can follow the track of the rain and how it has developed over the last couple of hours and see whether it is a wide or narrow band, where it is heading, and how long it will last. Similar to 'Rain Today' which I also use. The Norwegian site is http://www.yr.no/

Steady

Über Member
I use Accuweather on my phone and always skip the predicted forecast and look at the radar maps, it's far easier to predict when the rain is coming and whether it's worth 'chancing' or how quickly it's going to brighten up.

The weather forecasts from the BBC, are hilarious. More than once, I've been watching their fancy animations, based on their new 40 million (licence payers) pound super computer
Forecasters on the BBCdon't work for the BBC, they work for the Met Office.
The supercomputer belongs to the Met Office so not from licence fees, but from Government. Not as though it makes that much difference, we're paying for it in some form or other anyway. It was a bit more than £40 million - £97 million
I did read something that it's powerful enough to enable everyone in the UK to play Call of Duty together at the same time. Sometimes seems a bit of seaweed hanging up would work just as well.

Forecasters on the BBCdon't work for the BBC, they work for the Met Office.
The supercomputer belongs to the Met Office so not from licence fees, but from Government. Not as though it makes that much difference, we're paying for it in some form or other anyway. It was a bit more than £40 million - £97 million
I did read something that it's powerful enough to enable everyone in the UK to play Call of Duty together at the same time. Sometimes seems a bit of seaweed hanging up would work just as well.

As long as it's good for something. It sure as hell doesn't work as a weather prediction tool.:laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I find that it does give a good indication of what to expect most days, but then I'm combining a couple of websites and I'll check the weather more than once if it's the type of weather that is harder to predict.

Weather can be so different just a few miles away. I know when I compare the weather at home to work it can be quite different, even just going a mile as the first thing I do is climb out of a valley. It's often misty at the top when it was ok at the house.

Isn't it something like tomorrows weather is more or less the same as todays 2/3 (or maybe 3/4) of the time in the UK? Supercomputer - pah! Just look out of the window now.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Isn't it something like tomorrows weather is more or less the same as todays 2/3 (or maybe 3/4) of the time in the UK? Supercomputer - pah! Just look out of the window now.
No.

This has been studied ad nauseam. The Met Office's computer is the best predictor of the weather in the UK that exists. Unfortunately some people don't realise that a weather forecast will never be perfectly correct - but it is more reliable than anything else.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I use the Norwegian website www.yr.no (click on the flag at the top to change everything into English). They also do an app for your phone.
They are invariably the most accurate - this morning they forecast it would be dry until 10am, whilst the BBC and Met Office both said it would rain all morning - and the Norwegians were right, as it was just starting to rain when I got in from a 2 hour ride at five to ten. Had I followed the Met Office advice I'd have not bothered going out on the bike...

Top Bottom