Metal Detectorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Just remember, newer "copper coins" are more iron than copper.
Easily proved with a magnet.

Maybe She'll hit gold on her first attempt.

I've a few places I'd want to try, but they're all either close to scheduled monuments, or unable to get permission to map the area out. No digging, just try and work out what lies beneath my feet.

I think Mrs Slick wouldn't be able to sleep if she couldn't dig. Her imagination is far too fertile and would come up with all sorts of possibilities for what could very well just be a tin can. :okay:

I've always wanted to find the remains of a crashed Spitfire in my back garden. I don't think it is possible here but there must be spent bullets and cartridge cases lying anywhere! I think our town museum has the tip of a 20 mm incendiary cannon shell that was found in the river. It looks like it had struck something as the tip had been blunted. My uncle who lived in Tetbury found a couple of 20 mm cannon shell cases in his back garden after hearing a night fighter open up in the night . Those were fresh though!

classic33

Leg End Member
I think Mrs Slick wouldn't be able to sleep if she couldn't dig. Her imagination is far too fertile and would come up with all sorts of possibilities for what could very well just be a tin can. :okay:
There's a number of sites of old houses round here. So it'd be everyday household items from at least 100 years ago. An old church built for a nonconforming minister, who used to preach in secluded valleys.
And a known Roman road, along which coins have been found in the past.

Get her to check old local maps on the NLS site, give her some ideas.

I'm searching for "a treasure that cannot be dug". Involves a wee bit of black magic to be used. Got it narrowed to an area of around 100 square yards.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I've always wanted to find the remains of a crashed Spitfire in my back garden. I don't think it is possible here but there must be spent bullets and cartridge cases lying anywhere! I think our town museum has the tip of a 20 mm incendiary cannon shell that was found in the river. It looks like it had struck something as the tip had been blunted. My uncle who lived in Tetbury found a couple of 20 mm cannon shell cases in his back garden after hearing a night fighter open up in the night . Those were fresh though!

How brilliant would that be, I would love that.

Where I'm from, it would be a real possibility as there are a huge number of crashed planes on one spot throughout history including spitfires returning from Norway.

How brilliant would that be, I would love that.

Where I'm from, it would be a real possibility as there are a huge number of crashed planes on one spot throughout history including spitfires returning from Norway.

I was interested in what planes had crashed near me over the years . My dad and brother told me about a Convair B36 which crashed in 1953 just above the town before I was born. It was only made public 50 years later although the locals knew about it . 2 Spitfires collided and crashed killing both pilots over Seagry during the war. They had set off from different places. A De Havilland Mosquito crash landed into a farm house just above the town. A Stirling bomber crashed just after taking off from Castle Combe airfield. Apparently SIL's brother picked up a live warhead from a rocket near there and took it home . A few years later their street was evacuated when it was discovered that it was live !

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I was interested in what planes had crashed near me over the years . My dad and brother told me about a Convair B36 which crashed in 1953 just above the town before I was born. It was only made public 50 years later although the locals knew about it . 2 Spitfires collided and crashed killing both pilots over Seagry during the war. They had set off from different places. A De Havilland Mosquito crash landed into a farm house just above the town. A Stirling bomber crashed just after taking off from Castle Combe airfield. Apparently SIL's brother picked up a live warhead from a rocket near there and took it home . A few years later their street was evacuated when it was discovered that it was live !

I love this kind of history and it will forever be a huge regret that I never properly recorded the conversation I had with a real gentleman who built the cairn for the chinook disaster that went down on the Mull of Kintyre as he gave me and Mrs Slick the best tour sharing the details of every aircraft that ever went down from the 30's right up to modern day. My favourite story was the day 4 spitfires landed on the golf course as they ran out of fuel, which must have been an amazing site for a small country boy.

Top Bottom