Metal Detectorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Have we got any?

Mrs Slick loves visiting local sites of interest and pours over old maps to feed in to a very good friend of hers website dedicated to old local history.

She has been going on about getting a metal detector for ages now and I would quite like to get her one for Christmas but I haven't a clue and to be honest, feel it would be akin to her trying and buy me a bike without my knowledge. :eek:

I'm looking at the below, but is it the equivalent of a BSO?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garrett-ACE-300i-Ace/dp/B01FE6X4PM/ref=pd_ci_mcx_pspc_dp_d_1_t_1?pd_rd_w=ykBCo&content-id=amzn1.sym.564a65b5-8864-489e-8f09-00335ca035f1&pf_rd_p=564a65b5-8864-489e-8f09-00335ca035f1&pf_rd_r=V1THY8G3B75HWP0HHK1C&pd_rd_wg=quYmY&pd_rd_r=4335ef5e-0ca1-4d64-b66f-a1ca842f1298&pd_rd_i=B01FE6X4PM&th=1

Mo1959

Legendary Member
That looks a good bit of kit. I know nothing about them though but is that not one of the decent brands? One review mentions the weight though, especially for a woman.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
That looks a good bit of kit. I know nothing about them though but is that not one of the decent brands? One review mentions the weight though, especially for a woman.

I did notice that, but I reckoned that I could attach a shoulder strap to it without too much difficulty.

I've absolutely no idea regarding brands, or quality.

Dadam

I know nothing about them myself but a friend got into it the other year. He got an inexpensive but decent starter model having researched the subject (don't know which but can ask him), but within a few months he upgraded to a better one. He's totally addicted to it now, goes all over. He's found all sorts of coins, I think the earliest one was Elizabethan! He's also found jewellery on beaches.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've arrested a couple, them not realising that if they don't have permission to use the devices on whatever lands they're on they risk arrest for going equipped to steal.

But never had a go myself. Wouldn't mind a crack, the gear is simple enough, just a case of finding somewhere I can use it.

Top Bottom