Metal look cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Has anyone ever seen any? I'm getting through a cleat nearly every month at the moment and something made of metal would last longer

e-rider

crappy member
I have look keo cleats and they wear out very very quickly - once my pedals are worn out (or I become rich) I'll probably not buy look pedals again for this very reason.

I actually replace them one at a time to make them last slightly longer (rather than just wacking 2 new ones on each time)

Never seen metal cleats.

Tynan

Veteran
metal cleats on my spds are two and half years old and going strong

how can they make them out of anything else under the circumstances, is it a weight thing?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I actually replace them one at a time to make them last slightly longer (rather than just wacking 2 new ones on each time)

I do that too. My left cleat wears out way quicker than the right on the basis my right foot clips in twice a day for commuting and that's it. So I do get slightly longer out of them

I just thought that a metal cleat, perhaps slightly thicker than a plastic one, would last for ages but still attach firmly. Oh well. :blush:

SPD metal cleats all the way. A year and a half on one pair used almost daily. I didn't know that other brands\types had plastic ones...mind you, I bet they save a good 50g or so
cool.gif

zigzag

Veteran
I do that too. My left cleat wears out way quicker than the right on the basis my right foot clips in twice a day for commuting and that's it. So I do get slightly longer out of them

I just thought that a metal cleat, perhaps slightly thicker than a plastic one, would last for ages but still attach firmly. Oh well. :blush:

these type of pedals were designed specifically for racing and not for commuting.. they would easily last through a racing season, but can't take the abuse of everyday's commute. shimano or time mtb pedals and cleats are much better suited for that purpose.
or.. you can write a letter to look suggesting there's a niche for big heavy and durable metal cleats :becool:

e-rider

crappy member
these type of pedals were designed specifically for racing and not for commuting.. they would easily last through a racing season, but can't take the abuse of everyday's commute. shimano or time mtb pedals and cleats are much better suited for that purpose.
or.. you can write a letter to look suggesting there's a niche for big heavy and durable metal cleats :becool:

no, I use mine for racing and training only (no commuting) and they still wear out every few months.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
SPD metal cleats all the way. A year and a half on one pair used almost daily. I didn't know that other brands\types had plastic ones...mind you, I bet they save a good 50g or so
cool.gif

Yeah I weigh close to 15 stone though, if I wanted to save 50g I could just spend a little longer on the loo. :whistle:

I notice some shops sell metal cleat for look pedals although I suspect it's for a different pedal to the current KéO range.

Their are shops that call their cleats "bi-metal", all this means is that they've got a teflon bit at the front and back.

The SPD cleats I've seen just seem to be bigger versions of the Look cleat is this not the case? I'll have to have a loot at other pedals.

I quite fancy speedplay pedals too (although they're flipping expensive!). Do these cleats a. have to be recessed into the shoe b. fit a 3 hole setup?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have some Outland cleats for keos and they have lasted very well. Not metal but quite tough nevertheless.

How expensive are they? I'm happy going up to around £15-£20. I'd be a bit loath to pay more because although they may wear well, if they are plastic they may just break anyway.

amaferanga

Veteran
Look cleats wear very quickly if you walk in them, even just short distances. Fortunately you can buy cleat covers that not only help your cleats last longer, but also give you more grip when walking on polished floors.

FWIW one set of Keo cleats lasted me from March until August and I did a lot of riding (commuting, training and racing). I rarely walked more than a few metres in them without putting on the cleat covers though.

AlanW

Guru
Has anyone ever seen any? I'm getting through a cleat nearly every month at the moment and something made of metal would last longer

People are getting confused with SPD and LOOK cleats.

I think that we are referring to the old style, LOOK Delta cleats, the aluminium ones were first around at least 20 years ago and at first they were received very well. However, a few months later when people suddenly noticed that pedals were wearing out instead of the cleats, the concept took a dive in the opposite direction. Even plastic cleats do enough damage to the mating surface, let alone using aluminium ones

Needless to say, I had some, and I can vouch for the fact that you do NOT want cleats made out of anything else but plastic!

Get yourself a pair of cleat covers to slip on your shoes when you need to walk, much better.

Or go for a SPD pedal/shoe combination, I use this combo on my ride to work bike and MTB bike and LOOK Keo's on the weekend bikes and track bike.

Chrisz

Über Member
................or use Shimano SPD-SL!

Very similar in shape/design to the Looks, plenty of support for road/racing shoes but somehow much tougher cleats! I've had 3 sets of Look cleats in just over a year - I also have a set of SPD-SL cleats (now on my winter bike) that I've had for several years!

Just as soon as Shimano Dura-Ace Blacks are out I'll be going back to Shim and ditching the Look Carbons :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
How expensive are they? I'm happy going up to around £15-£20. I'd be a bit loath to pay more because although they may wear well, if they are plastic they may just break anyway.

Link The float colour is not the same as Look. You can buy the pedals with cleats for circa £20 if you shop around, good for a spare set or for a winter hack. review

Top Bottom