Michelin lithion 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
So I purchased theese a week and a half ago for my road bike, 23c in red, and here is my short review
I purchased them from planetx both tyres and a michelin butyl tube for £20

First off you will mtp ice they come with a white substance all over the tread, no idea what this but it is very slippery , I recommend you wash it off before use. They were easier to get on the rim than a lot of tyres I have had and were put onto a set of shimano rs11 wheels, the red sidewalls have started to rub off already to reveal black underneath but I don't think this is a real issue as it is not too much.
They are a very fast rolling tyre and very grippy even in the wet conditions and amazing in the corners, you really feel the tyre help you lean into the corner to give you faster cornering and a better grip.
Now comes the bad part...

I switched from schwable lugano's and have used conti ultrasport, cheap tires that came with a Viking I had, specialized espoir and a few others and have not had many punctures but with theese on the same route I have had 4 in around 30 miles, all very small debris that shouldn't make it through the tyre, the tyres the self seem really thin and flexible. It is a shame cause the handling and performance is great and they look good but 4 punctures is very excessive for 30 miles. I have contacted planetx and am waiting on by reply :smile: I shall let you know what happens :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
When I read you had bought them I wondered if they were suitable for this time of the year :sad: I don't think they are as sturdy as the Pro 4 endurance that they make now. Can't recommend Durano Plus enough if you want to get through most stuff on the roads.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
each time it has been tiny bits of rubble and once a very small flimsy thorn, stuff that shouldnt get through any tyre, im rather disapointed, i wish i waited a few days and got the pro 4's on offer for 28 a pair just £8 more, the offer isnt on anymore :sad:

Broadside

Guru
In defence of the Lithion 2 tyres, I use them every winter and really rate them for puncture protection. They are ok for handling but really nothing more than ok, far superior to Gatorskins though :-)

I use Pro 4 Service Course for the rest of the year and they really are brilliant, so when my Lithion 2's need replacing I will go with the Pro 4 Endurance for next winter.

btw the "white substance" on the tyres is usually mould release, you would be well advised to take it easy on any new tyres until the release agent has worn off and the tyre surface has abraded very slightly to aid grip, typically something like 50 miles or so.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
thanks for the heads up, i havent seen it on any other tyres but i gave it a sponge off to get rid of it as the first time i went out it was very slippery so i also advise to get it off before you ride

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
yeah...... this happened today on a 30 mile trip the discolouration is also becoming very apparent, ( it is clean i swear) up your game michelin! hopefully planet x will refund or replace with some better ones

michelin lithion 1.jpg

michelin lithion 2.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been getting on ok so far with the Lithion 2s on my road bikes, but due to reduced mileage over the past couple of years I have probably only done a total of about 1,500 miles on the 2 pairs.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
i've proabably put 150 on these, it is disgraceful the way they are already, i ride on reasonably smooth roads too, i was riding out in the moors today and doing some very big descents so for all i know this was like that when i was hitting 40+ could of been fatal

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
planet x asked too see the images, i got this reply. is this normal or would you expect better?

Hello

This is not common really but as a tyres is a wearable item there unfortunately is no warranty with this item in regards to this.

Kind regards

Mike

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If a tyre disintegrated after only 150 miles, I would expect a replacement because it wasn't fit for purpose.

If I ran over a big piece of glass after only 150 yards and cut the tyre in half, then I would consider it my fault for riding over a big piece of glass.

The question with regard to your tyre then is 'Did it fall, or was it pushed?'!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
definatley not pushed, i dont do any intense riding infact ill upload a pic of the road i was riding on a very smooth road in the moors on the outskirts of weardale i always make sure to avoid rubble and potholes and i would definatley have noticed if i hit something big enough to do that sort of damage.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
This is where I do my cycling just a few photo's from the camera on my stem the road never changes from this surface so it is hardly like I am riding through glass in the middle of a city or over rocks ect
image.jpg
image.jpg

SS Retro

planet x asked too see the images, i got this reply. is this normal or would you expect better?

Hello

This is not common really but as a tyres is a wearable item there unfortunately is no warranty with this item in regards to this.

Kind regards

Mike

I had few punctures towards the middle of autumn as it got wet and gritty, also had the rear blow of the rim on a long descent in the summer, I had probably over heated the rims with braking. Swapped the Lithions to Conti Ultrasport a tyre in the same price bracket, they feel so much better ride wise had no punctures all winter.

Was just looking at my Ultrimo ZX's and thinking should I put them on my good bike for the weekend after seeing your pics it can wait till the roads have had a 'good wash and dry'.

As for Planet X I use them all the time, may I draw your attention to this thread sometimes they just need a little push. ;)
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/planet-x-al30-rear-wheel-breaking-spokes.148536/#post-2925999

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's brake dust and brake crap in the wet that causes the tyres to go black. Mr sheen will bring them up. The answer is don't buy coloured tyres.

I've use Lithions for commuting. They are a good fast tyre but do wear about twice as fast as a Conti 4 Season, but are a fraction of the cost.

Avoid coloured tyres if you aren't going to mr Sheen the side walls. I've given up on coloured tyres.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
its not actually dirt, ive scrubbed them clean it is actually discolouration of the sidewalls, ive got a pair of conti ultrasport tyres here but they do look abit naff on the bike but they are reliable, bit ify in the wet under breaking never had a flat with them. just replied to planet x hopefully i will get a replacement. they seem like they couldnt care less tbh

Top Bottom