Michelin Pro 3 Race Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Found the PR3s cut up really badly* - are the PR4s any better? I wouldn't buy them again because of this - GP4000S for next summer.
*this over summer/early autumn. On the other hand the Gatorskins I have been using late autumn/winter have no sign of damage at all in spite of the appalling condition of the roads.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PR2 and PR4 cut up less than the 3. The 4 addressed the cutting up issue and further improved grip.

Cracking tyres all of the Pro Race. Not a commute or winter tyre though. Lithion 2s or Pro Race endurance, or even conti. 4 seasons.

e-rider

crappy member
Pro3 Race tyres are pretty decent tyres, however, they don't last that long and the side walls are not very strong, so if you hit a pot hole or similar and put a small cut in the sidewall you might experience a blowout not long after - fast rolling and light though. GP4000s are of pretty similar spec.
Vredestein Fortezza tricomps, are similar but slightly heavier duty at 20g heavier per tyre but last a bit longer as a result; and they take 175psi!

Globalti

Legendary Member
You must be doing something wrong; I've been using Pro 3s for three years or more on the terrible roads we have in the Ribble Valley and Bowland and I've never had one cut up or shred and I don't think I've even had a puncture... no, I'm sure I've never had a puncture.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Perhaps rider weight has an affect..I am a big guy 6'4 and i was heavy when i was riding those on my bianchi...i got lots of internal punctures when i went over bumps etc on the rear tyre. Now I have durano fitted to the bianchi and have lost weight no punctures! Having said that since fittting the pro 3's to the hack I have only had one flat on it...hmmm...:wacko:

The pro 3's really do roll nice though...now im thinner i may re fit them on th ebianchi in th esummer and see what happens

dodgy

I use PR3 on both my good weather and bad weather bikes. No problems, only criticism is the mileage I get out of them, roughly 2000 miles on the back, 3000 on the front.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm 9 stone 8, so I don't think it's weight related. Maybe it the over enthusiastic top dressing we 'enjoy' in this area every summer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pro Race are the best tyres IMHO, and I won't use anything else on the two road bikes. One is running Pro2 the other new Pro4's. They get even better when you fit Michelin Latex tubes. Whoooosh noises as you ride, they just sing to you.

Nebulous

Guru
I had prorace 3s really liked them but after about 1500 miles they started puncturing so I changed them for 4's. Round about the same mileage and they were looking pretty good, but the back one developed a cut. I think it was a one-off so I've bought a pair of those ones from Chain Reaction. Combine it with the £15 off £99 and you get a pair of them with tubes for about £38

U

User482

Good luck with them Pro3s over the winter la.

I did a long ride in absolutely filthy conditions recently, and the Pro 3s were faultless. I guess they're not as durable as some tyres (they are a race tyre after all) but I would have no qualms about riding them in winter.

Top Bottom