Michelin Pro 3 Race Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bianchi-67

I just ordered Michelin Pro 3 Race tyres from Evans Cycles. Should I have gone for Conti GP4000 or the new Pro 4? I got the Pro 3s for £18.00 each as Evans were able to price match.

NotFabian

EACC
Ive just posted on bargains sub forum re pro race.
I race on pro race 3, most of my club mates using clinchers do too, fantastic value at £18, at that money you can't go far wrong.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Tread on car tyres is to prevent aquaplaning. To Aquaplane on a thin bike tyre with a circular cross section you'd need to be doing something in excess of 100mph, so a slick tyre is actually better than one with tread as it has more rubber in contact with the road

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been using Pro 3s for three years now and I think they are an excellent tyre, winter or summer. I can't believe how comfortable they are and the grip is very good, even on the icy roads of last week.

You got a bargain there as well. Evans, you say?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I always race PR3 in the wet, they're great. They tend to suffer from cutting up though, and I've given up using them for commuting.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I concur Pro3s are fast rolling but as commuter tyre in winter nae good. Might take a pop at some for me other bike though as other places were doing them cheap as well!

As always Sheldon has the answer.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html

thanks, good info:
'Tread for on-road use
Bicycle tyres for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tyres are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all!
Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tyre will be slippery, so this type of tyre is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tyre makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tyres, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you'll see that the texture of the road itself is much "knobbier" than the tread features of a good-quality road tyre. Since the tyre is flexible, even a slick tyre deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while in contact with the road.
People ask, "But don't slick tyres get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?" The answer is, yes, they do. So do tyres with tread. All tyres are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this.'

i won't be commuting with my pro 4s, just for winter runs to stay in shape

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
christ_on_a_bike.jpg
Michelin Pro-Race are what God and his family would choose .....

Top Bottom