Michelin Pro2 Race Tyre - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andygates

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Aye, thats true, but I am willing to sacrifice having to deflate them to get them past my brakes for the added comfort.

Normally I would agree, but this is for actual racing. ;)

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Tynan said:
why do people persist with armadillos?

lots of tyres offer very good punc protection theses days, I certainly wouldn't sacrifice roll and cornering ability for increased protection

Because they have worked flawlessly for 4 years. Never had a puncture. For a road bike on weekend training ride I can see the potential benefits of having better rolling tyres and cornering confidence however on a commute I remain to be convinced.

If its a toss up between standing at the side of the road on winters night in the pouring rain and it is pitch black and getting home slightly slower I will take the performance hit everytime. Large parts of my commute is on roads where there are no paths at the side therefore finding somewhere to even do a repair safely, especially at night, would be a problem and perhaps that is why my puncture priority is perhaps much higher than yours.

Due tomorrow so preparing to be amazed.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

toontra said:
My order is in with Parker's (same price) - should be here soon then! Have you given them a road-test yet?

Nah haven't tried them out yet though they feel very light compared to my Armadillos however I will probably not change them until the clocks go forward in a couple of weeks as the ride home is still in darkness.

If they are any good, and I expect them to be given the good reviews from all you guys, then I will likely buy a pair of pro race 3's replace the pro race 2's and use them to carry in my rucksack to make any puncture easy to change ie change tube and tyre rather than fiddling about at the side of the road trying to figure out where the tyre punctured. Can do that when I get home.

As long as they come in 25c I'm happy!!

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Whoooh - decided to try them out today as it looks like the weather is going to keep me off for the next day or two and I bow before the God that is Michelin. They absolutely fly. I always struggled in a strong headwind. Couldn't keep my average speed much above 13-14mph. Today I had 14 mile headwind on the route back and I had no probs doing 15-16mph. Descents required no effort. Before when descending as others just freewheeled down I would be pedalling like mad just to try and stay on. Hit 37mph on a few turns of the pedals at the top. Fastest ever managed that descent before was 34.2mph and that was an all out effort.

I really didn't believe a pair of tyres could really offer much of an advantage. Thought they could definitely offer some but just not as big an advantage. Real test will be on my commute as I know my speed and times so well.

One thing though absolutely hate the cornering grip on them. Perhaps I am just not tackling these right but I ended up in a ditch but managed to keep upright and keep going and I found myself taking corners much wider than I normally would putting me on the wrong side of the road. Towards the end I had learned to break a lot sooner but still didn't feel comfortable leaning into tighter corners. Perhaps it was just that with the better rolling that I was going into the corners quicker. Will be something which I will just have to practice more to see what works best.

The tyres are a pain to put on especially if the tube has any air in it at all. So much easier when you squeeze all the air out as it makes the tube easier to poke up inside the tyre. Wrecked one tube and one tyre lever trying to the get the first tyre on. Guess practice will make perfect as I already had learned a good bit about fitting them when I come to the second one as it took me about half the time of the first and only one tube required. Can put the armadillos on with my hands only - no levers required except to take them off again.

So impressed with these that I may now just reconsider them for winter riding however we will see what the spring and summer brings first in terms of puncture avoidance.

doyler78 said:
One thing though absolutely hate the cornering grip on them. Perhaps I am just not tackling these right but I ended up in a ditch but managed to keep upright and keep going and I found myself taking corners much wider than I normally would putting me on the wrong side of the road. Towards the end I had learned to break a lot sooner but still didn't feel comfortable leaning into tighter corners. Perhaps it was just that with the better rolling that I was going into the corners quicker. Will be something which I will just have to practice more to see what works best.

They reward smooth riding.

Also don't forget that you are going faster than you have before!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Excellent!
Have to say, noticed similar glee when I first fitted my PR2's.

On the grip side, they're new and a bit shiny, will take a while to rough-out the outer edges of the tyre. I've had the same experience with My Krylions, taken ages it seems to get really grippy.
The PR2's are really grippy once worn-in and the 3's are supposedly grippier. Maybe after a few hundred miles they'll show their full potential.

Great review BTW.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Thansks Fab Foodie. Just tell it as I found it.

Anyway done my first commute on them today and there were strong side winds coming into work and very strong winds coming from about 2 o'clock (29mph according to bbc). Anyway both my inward and homeward journey's were the quickest they have been since winter set in and are close to the times I was getting in August last year when I was at my fittest and 5kg lighter so they are definitely very noticeable in the benefits they bring. Also riding clipless which I wasn't doing before until about a month ago however I don't think they are making a big difference for me.

My ride in was at 18.1mph average and I really didn't expect to see that sort of figure until quite a few months later. Bobbling around 15.5 to 16.5mph depending on conditions for most the winter. So I've been grinning all day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just watch them in the wet until run in - very twitchy - you need to scrub off all the manufacturing chemicals.... was using them over long wet commutes brand new last year -needed to watch the corners first few rides.

Did you talc the tubes and tyre inners - makes putting on a doddle - only thumbs needed - no levers..... ?

Assume you just had a bog standard set of tyres before then..?

Not just tyres - clipless as well add to the speed. The Pro Race's ride really well, that's why I use them, excellent.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

fossyant said:
Just watch them in the wet until run in - very twitchy - you need to scrub off all the manufacturing chemicals.... was using them over long wet commutes brand new last year -needed to watch the corners first few rides.

First run out and got my first taste of their rather skitish cornering abilities. Hit a ditch. Haven't experienced the wet yet but it looks like I get that tomorrow morning so the advice is appreciated.

fossyant said:
Did you talc the tubes and tyre inners - makes putting on a doddle - only thumbs needed - no levers..... ?

No I didn't. Never even occurred to me. Will give it a go next time. When I put Pro Race 3's on assuming favourable reviews.

fossyant said:
Assume you just had a bog standard set of tyres before then..?

Not just tyres - clipless as well add to the speed. The Pro Race's ride really well, that's why I use them, excellent.

I used the extremely reliable spesh armadillos. They were 100% reliable on 4 years of commuting so I couldn't ask more than that. Or so I thought. Didn't factor in just how much could be gained just by a better rolling tyre now I doubt I will go back to the spesh armadillos unless they are puncture prone.

The vast bulk of the speed gains, I really do believe, are in the tyres alone as I have been riding clipless for a month now and have not noticed any appreciable difference in my commute times however as soon as I went out in these tyres I noticed significant increases in my commute time in both directions and in unfavourable conditions. I know that goes against conventional wisdom but hey that's my experience.

Top Bottom