Mickle Method with Dry Lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
GT85 will clean your cassette, but I would be inclined to use car wash and wax solution.

You want to avoid GT85 coming into contact with the ceramic lube, GT85 is a solvent and it will attempt to dissolve the lube, possibly leaving you with a sloppy mess on the chain.

The wash and wax is a detergent, so should lift the cassette dirt - stiff brush required - if you then dry the cassette with a rag, you can lube the chain without fear of the lube doing anything you don't want it to.

Thanks for putting me straight on that. I currently use wash n wax in some hot water with a stiff brush to clean the cassette, then have been drying it with a rag, then giving it a light buff with a rag squirted with GT85 wrapped around a CD. I'll leave the GT85 off the rag once I start using the ceramic lube. Thanks.

I'll give those KMC chains a look. I hear that some come with 'quick links' these days, so that might even negate the need for a chain breaker? Or is there some downside to quick links?

A good quality cassette will last a decade of everyday use if you treat your chains right and replace them often enough.
Seriously? That's kind of what I expected based on my use (and abuse) of my old bike tbh, but a few searches on here suggests many people are getting through one every few thousand miles. Is it just something you can judge based on the appearance of the teeth and how well the chain is engaging rather than need to trust the mech's advice on?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You will need the chain breaker to remove a few links in the new chain to make it match the length of the old one.

Quick links rarely fail, although opinions vary as to how many times they can be used.

Not a problem for most riders who install the chain, cycle until it's worn out, then install a new chain with a new quick link.

A worn cassette is indicated by pointy teeth, but as has been said, you could easily get three chains to one cassette.

The time to look at the cassette is if the gears skip with a new or relatively new chain.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I hear that some come with 'quick links' these days, so that might even negate the need for a chain breaker? Or is there some downside to quick links?
No downside but there is a knack to opening them and make sure you fit them the correct way round (inside on the inside of the chain loop).

I only get a couple of years out of a cassette at best but the fens are awful for sand and road salt and modern cassettes seem less tough (even without going to the thinner 10+speed ones).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Basil infused extra virgin is also oil but has limited use as a chain lube.
From my experience of observing discussions on this subject I full expect that not only will someone appear and swear by basil infused extra virgin olive oil as a chain lube, but that they will get into a bitter argument with someone who insists that rosemary-infused oil is far superior.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
A sage observation, this discussion comes up thyme and thyme again.
I don't think either are ideal. I prefer to keep my chain in mint condition; to keep the rust at bay my preference is garlic chilli oil. Then I give it a good going over with a rag to keep it in fine fennel. That way I can use my bike in confidence every day and put the caraway in the garage.

Ahem. I'll get me coat.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
You will need the chain breaker to remove a few links in the new chain to make it match the length of the old one
Ah, I never thought of that. I really owe you a pint of GT85 for all this good advice!

The time to look at the cassette is if the gears skip with a new or relatively new chain.
Good to know I can trust my eyes/judgement then and not have to just shell out on a cassette every time I get a new chain cos the mech says I should. Thanks.

I only get a couple of years out of a cassette at best
That doesn't sound too bad. What does a couple of years equate to in miles for you? I think my fine-weather riding plus all the flat around here should mean my chain and cassette probably take a fair bit less hammer mile on mile than yours. Cheers.

bpsmith

Veteran
image.jpg
I use this, although I believe it's frowned up if you have a Shimano drivetrain...

winjim

Smash the cistern
...and put the caraway in the garage.
Oh I like that one!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What does a couple of years equate to in miles for you?
I think the cassette lasts under two years so maybe 6000 miles.
I think my fine-weather riding plus all the flat around here should mean my chain and cassette probably take a fair bit less hammer mile on mile than yours.
:rofl: Neither the fens nor the levels are exactly short of flat... although I have ventured onto the ridge and the Mendips sometimes.

Top Bottom