Mickle's Tip of the Day - Cable-ties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cable-ties, or 'Zip-ties' were invented by God to reward cyclists for saving the planet. Strong and flexible, available in a miriad of colours and sizes - they are incredibly useful around a bicycle and home workshop. I wouldn't be without them.

The trouble with cable ties though, is the tail, which if not cut short enough leaves an unsightly burr which is a potential hazard to flesh and lycra. Scissors or cable cutters don't cut close enough, nor do side-cutters or the cutting edges of pliers.

There is, apparently, a special tool available which automatically pulls the cable tie to a pre-determined tension before cutting if off cleanly. But unless you are using hundreds of them every day that's OTT.

The answer, and it's a simple one, is: toenail cutters. Accurate, precise and with a slight curve, they are the perfect tool for finishing the tail of a cable tie. And cheap too.

Don't miss the next installment of Mickle's Tip Of The Day: How to make and use a Jibber.

Can't wait for the next instalment!

Might have to print them off and stick them on CM's workshop wall :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
1521031 said:
You don't have a special scalpel in your toolbox just for trimming cable ties?

Yes I do. Well, not so much a scalpel, more of a 1936 Gillette mono-edge undertaker's razor which I keep sharp on a strop made of kangaroo scrotum leather.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm sure Mr Summerdays thinks we are running short of cable ties in the world and seems to be stockpiling large quantities of them... and mocks me if I then want to use some of his "useful" stockpile! :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1521034"]
A tear-off CC desk calendar with a Mickle tip for each day?
[/quote]

A sub-level within "Know-How" maybe. No more paper please.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Is there a market for a 'Mickle tip' app for smartphones?

[QUOTE 1521034"]
A tear-off CC desk calendar with a Mickle tip for each day?
[/quote]

I want strict guidlines on the topics covered, there's no telling what's in Mickle's head.

tyred

Legendary Member
So I can fit a sail to my bike so I don't have to pedal it while I smoke a marijuana cigarette on the way to a pub to meet a friend who doesn't bother turning up?

Top Bottom