Microfibre Towels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Trying to pare down the bulk and weight of camping items with the small people and bikes....

Do these microfibre towels that fold down to the size of a coke can really work?

Do they dry you? or just move the water around and do they feel like dead cat like those new fangled light weight non-towelling dressing gowns do?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
we bought a couple.of the paramo ones - worked remarkably well and very small / light . Don't feel nice like proper towels bit do work

subaqua

What’s the point
thats all we take when camping ( towel wise) dry really quick , you and the towel itself after. I have one in the pannier for the commute for getting dry at the pool where i have a swim before work .

we have Higear ones from go outdoors and quechua or nabijili from decathlon and there is no difference in performance .

screenman

Legendary Member
I buy 3 micro fibre for a £1 and use only one to dry myself, maybe the second one just to finish off. I found some towels work and some as you say just move it around.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had one for ages, they don't dry you in the same way... I sort of pat myself dry rather than the more normal motion. However they dry out significantly faster as well as being less bulky which is useful when camping.

Isla Valassi

Veteran
Try using the microfibre towel (or other smaller microfibre cloth) to wipe off most of the water then dry off properly with a lightweight cotton hand towel, Both will dry quickly as the hand towel doesn't get that wet.

Mandragora

I've had a swimming microfibre towel for years - embarrassingly, the closest thing to it I can find is this car drying towel from Halfords: http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...meguiars-water-magnet-microfiber-drying-towel

It works well - not the same as a soft fluffy Hilton Hotel one, natch, but it dries, wrings out and packs away compactly. I would think it would be ideal for touring/camping. I had no idea you could get them in all the jazzy colours and styles I saw when I googled microfibre towel - my chamois lookalike looks a bit dated now! I'm not buyiong a new one though - too tight for that - it's still doing its job after 10 years.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Try using the microfibre towel (or other smaller microfibre cloth) to wipe off most of the water then dry off properly with a lightweight cotton hand towel, Both will dry quickly as the hand towel doesn't get that wet.
:laugh: Try instructing a 4 y/o & 9 y/o to do that

Mandragora

Don't they just dry off naturally at that age?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I got mine from Mountain Warehouse as it was the only quick drying towel I could find that wasn't made from a material that makes my toes curl, and yes, they dry you properly and then dry themselves quickly. Even if you drop it into the puddle left on the shower floor.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Don't they just dry off naturally at that age?

If you let them... but towelling down at least rubs off some of the dirt from them where if left un-supervised (9 y/o boy) they will just stand in the water and not wash... after 4 days away that did include 2 showers... the dirty smelly child had to bathe AND shower to get rid of the dirt and the smell!

Bodhbh

Guru
As noted, they do work, but the feeling is not the same as a regular towel. I left mine on a campsite washing line by accident - I either use a tea towel type thing now or a beer mat, depends what comes out the draw first. Either one you're pretty much ringing out by the time you've wiped down, but at least they feel like a proper towel.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Trying to pare down the bulk and weight of camping items with the small people and bikes....

Do these microfibre towels that fold down to the size of a coke can really work?

Do they dry you? or just move the water around and do they feel like dead cat like those new fangled light weight non-towelling dressing gowns do?
I think they work better than normal towels

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
We use Lifeventure microfibre towels all the time in our motorhome as well as for backpacking and cycle touring. In my opinion they are brilliant. We even use them for the dogs when travelling and anything that'll dry a wet labrador gets my vote. We have every size but on my recent LEJOG camping tour I used a hand towel size for showering. Weather was so bad I wouldn't have been able to dry anything else. When I met OH halfway I junked the full size one cos I wasn't using it.
Can't imagine using cotton ones when travelling. Take far too long to dry unless weather is perfect ie never :smile:
You just have to get used to how they work. They continue to dry you off even when they seem to be wet.
Bin using them for years and I won't put up with stuff that doesn't work.
BTW Have Paramo ones, I think Lifeventure is better. It's designed for the job whereas Paramo is just another perceived use of their shirt fabric. I LOVE Paramo gear, just not for towels.
My best suggestion is; don't try cheap ones.

Top Bottom