Microwave has gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
As per title, actaully the fuse ( internally ) has blown, now good chance that something is shorted but on examination no signs of burning and just went when the wife went to open the door so I suspect a surge has blown the fuse. Anyway looks up yell for a local repair man who may sell me a fuse, phones first one to come up, bloke said " I don`t hand them out " I said right...... do you know where i can buy one ( after his first answer i knew what was coming ) " err no i don`t , you do know you need to find out whats causing it to blow ?" no shoot sherlock i say to myself, anyway cut a long story short, another shop In Dunfermline has the fuses and I will pick it up tomorrow, if it blows, the microwave is skipped anyway, no loss! So Mr microwave repair man in Hillend, no need to be short with me, in fact with an attitude like that i`m surprised you have a business to run. Its a wee rant but he was very short with me on phone which is uncalled for IMO.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Hi,

The bulb that illuminates the food as it turns round - for those people who like watching that sort of thing - may have blown taking out the internal fuse - that's what happened to mine 2 years back. New fuse (from Maplins) didn't bother to replace the bulb - and no problems since.

Hope your problem is the bulb - microwaves can contain dangerous voltages and spooky things called magnetrons producing lots of RF -I wouldn't delve too deep.....

Blue

Legendary Member
PatrickPending said:
Hi,

Hope your problem is the bulb - microwaves can contain dangerous ..... and spooky things .....

Sound advice.

A damaged Microwave cooker can be dangerous if any microwaves leak. In particular, standing close up and staring at a leaking cooker puts the eyes and testes :smile: at risk due to the poor dissipation of heat by these organs!!

domtyler

Über Member
For godsakes just bin the damn thing and buy a new'un. Probably cheaper than the fuse anyway.

I presented a selection of bulbs in local repair type place last year as it was getting a bit dark on the appliance front. Fridge - no problem. Oven - no problem.
Microwave - "Can't sell you one mate" Apparently are only sold and can be fitted by the 'qualified engineer'. How much then? Couple of quid for the bulb and another twenty for fitting and testing for leaks afterwards. Can't change them yourself, which partly explains why I had it half apart to get the old one out.
Needless to say it is still in use sans light. If I want to see my cup of milk heating up I'll buy a torch.

So as cheap to bin and buy a new one as to make a minor repair.
And that I think says a huge amount about how wasteful we are as a society.

(not having a go at you BTW Domtyler)

No, there's a reason they won't sell them to you. Microwaves are dangerous to work on, do not delve in the innards.

domtyler

Über Member
We live in a throw away society, these items, cheap electricals, are not meant to last or to be serviced or fixed, they are designed to be more or less disposable.

It might seem wasteful but it also creates work for lots of people.

barq

This won't help your current microwave situation, but what the hell...

As an undergrad student I used to live in a dodgy part of Birmingham. One of my flatmates destroyed our 15 year old microwave by carbonising some pizza in it. We carried the still smouldering microwave outside as the smoke was really bad. At that very moment the heavens opened and we had one of those cloudbursts that only happens every few years. Five minutes later the rain stopped and I went outside to see if the microwave had finished burning... but it had been stolen (I told you it was a dodgy area). Later that day we discovered who pinched it when a neighbour's kitchen suddenly caught fire.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
aldi usually have reasonable spec combi microwaves at some point in the year. might be worth looking out for them.

i recommend our lg one (not from aldi), has given over 5 years' solid service, and has doubled as an oven to great effect on occasion.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
domtyler said:
For godsakes just bin the damn thing and buy a new'un. Probably cheaper than the fuse anyway.

Hold it, you want me to bin a microwave oven that maybe just needs a fuse, which will cost £1.49 to be exact and go buy a new one at £50+ ?? Somehow i take a raincheck, as for the magnotron do daa don`t worry i won`t be opening that up and just to be extra carefull I`m pretty sure we have or did have a microwave tester thing at work which checks for leaking waves rond the door just to be sure ;)

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Crackle said:
No, there's a reason they won't sell them to you. Microwaves are dangerous to work on, do not delve in the innards.

The thing is see the microwave generator is seperate from the PSU, think of it like seperate modules , in mine you have the PSU, motor for driving fan, grill/oven controller , microwave gen. So replacing bits as you can see is straightforward assuming you diagnose the fault. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
MrGrumpy said:
The thing is see the microwave generator is seperate from the PSU, think of it like seperate modules , in mine you have the PSU, motor for driving fan, grill/oven controller , microwave gen. So replacing bits as you can see is straightforward assuming you diagnose the fault. ;)

Don't do it mate, just leave it to the folk who know what they are doing yeah?
I don't want to be reading about you on the bbc news site once you have taken out a whole block of flats and partially melted the national grid.

Top Bottom