Mid-70s Peugeot -- Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gws3

Hello. I picked up a vintage Peugeot bike (see pictures). I love it and want to refurbish it as much as possible, but not necessarily restore it with original components. I'm more interested in economical, high quality, attractive parts, rather than restoring it to its original glory. I'm looking for everything--brakes, derailleurs, bottom bracket, crankset, down tube shifters, metal top tube cable housings. Everything. I know this may be problematic since it's vintage and French (i.e. it has non-standard measurements).

Firstly, can anyone confirm the model and year? Also, any information about the wheels?

Secondly, any suggestions on where to find replacement parts? Again, they don't need to be the original components. And, any recommendations on specific parts--particulary a bottom bracket, crankset, derailleurs, and brakes?

Thank you.

midlife

Guru
Looks like a PX 10 from the late 1960's :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

why not just clean up the parts it already has, doesn't seem to be anything missing

I will for now. It's entirely rideable and in pretty good shape, but I'd like to upgrade to matching, higher quality parts. For example the rear derailleur is a Shimano Sora and the front is Suntour and needs to be replaced anyway. The brakes are fine, but not great and rusting. The crankset is fine, but if I'm doing both derailleurs and brakes, why not go for the whole package... Maybe Campagnolo or vintage Shimano 600 group sets?

Thanks for the input.

Hi @gws3 it was me that suggested you pop along here, so welcome.
The CC C&V crew are a friendly bunch (though we don't have a snappy name :smile:) and don't react with horror when someone dares to utter the words "modernise", well most don't anyway!
Judging by the pics I'd hazard a guess that bottom bracket, headset and wheel bearings are gonna need little more than a service.
What you do with it depends on what you want to do with it - if you see what i mean!
If you want to just tidy and ride, then you've picked a good machine for that, or you could modernise a few bits so it still has a vintage character but a bit easier to ride. Or there's the full resto.
I'd certainly suggest make it rideable and go from there.
Oh and sorry to repeat what i said on t'other forum, but check what's under that tape, it might be just cosmetic or it could be hiding something!

davidphilips

Veteran
If you are not concerned about keeping it standard consider fitting dual pivot calipers to improve the brakes.

As for any thing else skys the limit you could fit combined shifter/brake levers all parts available second hand on ebay as with new cable sets etc.

Very nice looking frame with nice lugs and chrome,plus the nice handlebars hope you have many happy miles on it.

Last edited:
I will for now. It's entirely rideable and in pretty good shape, but I'd like to upgrade to matching, higher quality parts. For example the rear derailleur is a Shimano Sora and the front is Suntour and needs to be replaced anyway. The brakes are fine, but not great and rusting. The crankset is fine, but if I'm doing both derailleurs and brakes, why not go for the whole package... Maybe Campagnolo or vintage Shimano 600 group sets?

Thanks for the input.
600 especially the arabesque is great stuff. 105 is very nice too. 105 or RX100 from the 90s is good for indexed gearing

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice bike. Why would you want to replace the brakes? They are not corroded, just need some new pads. The gears also look fine unless there's some problem with them. Likewise with most of the other parts too. Its your bike and of course you're free to do as you wish with it but if it were me I'd perhaps just get some new rims laced on, bearings regreased, new tyres & tubes, replace the cables etc, new brakes blocks ( you won't improve much on centre pulls for efficiency), a good saddle and of course new bar tape.

Its not really a high end frame so I see little point in fitting new top quality parts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Nice bike. From the Crome on the stays and the lugs with the mudguard eyelets I would guess at a PX10 LX. These have a 531 frame, is there the remains of a decal anywhere?

In terms of components, it would originally have been French through and through, Simplex gears, Mafac brakes and stronglight crank, it is has enough of the original bits that I would be tempted to look for a Simplex real mech and change the brake blocks but keep the brakes themselves. However, if you fancy doing something different, go for it:okay:

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

Nice bike. From the Crome on the stays and the lugs with the mudguard eyelets I would guess at a PX10 LX. These have a 531 frame, is there the remains of a decal anywhere?

Thanks. I removed the tape on the body, thankfully no problems at all. The down tube bears the Reynolds 531 sticker. It's identical to the one shown here, though in worse condition.

Result! All tubes and forks 531:dance:.

Going back to your original post and giving the bike a refurb: if you are not going down the original route I would be tempted to go down the post 1987 route to avoid the "Eroica Premium" that earlier parts now seem to attract. You may want to look at replacing the rear to take a more modern cassette but best to check if you are currently spaced at 126. If you are going to 130 should be easy.

Top Bottom