Middle-Class Crisis #37 - Turnip Recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I may have to get some root crops started this week, at least indoors, come to mention..

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You seem like a nice guy, but we're going to fall out. N England; the big ones are turnips, the small ones are swedes. I'm OK on the parsnips definition though

The geographically determined definitions of turnips and swedes led to my only home brewing disaster. I used a turnip wine recipe with swedes and the sulphurous, bad eggy scented fermented liquid was a gag inducing undrinkable toxic potion. How was I to know that the things that I used for turnip lanterns at halloween up in the North East were swedes and not turnips?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Different names for the same things and the same names for different things...
"I say potato and you say potato, I say turnip and you say swede- let's call the whole thing off."

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The geographically determined definitions of turnips and swedes led to my only home brewing disaster. I used a turnip wine recipe with swedes and the sulphurous, bad eggy scented fermented liquid was a gag inducing undrinkable toxic potion. How was I to know that the things that I used for turnip lanterns at halloween up in the North East were swedes and not turnips?

Turnip lanterns, by eck I didn't know it was that grim up t' north.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think that you have missed the point. No matter how many turnip wine recipes that you could have pointed me to at the time of making the original wine I would have used swedes because I was raised in a part of the UK that called swedes turnips.

Don't admit you're wrong Vern. We're right, it's everyone else that's wrong. I'm going to Tesco this morning to swap the turnip and swede labels over. Today is the first day of the Root Vegetable Revoution

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got a Swiss/German recipe for mangelwurzels if anyone would care for it:smile:

Mangel-wurzel.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've just realised that 'neeps' derives from 'turneeps' :smile:.

Has anyone else known of the old country habit of referring to one's head as a swede (as in, 'it fell off the shelf and hit him on the swede')? Or maybe I just dreamt that one.
I fink it's a Lunnon fing, calling a nut or a bonce, a swede.

Top Bottom