Middle-Class Crisis #37 - Turnip Recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I've just realised that 'neeps' derives from 'turneeps' :smile:.

Has anyone else known of the old country habit of referring to one's head as a swede (as in, 'it fell off the shelf and hit him on the swede')? Or maybe I just dreamt that one.

Doesn't neep derive from the Latin for turnip, napus?

Some sources say Swede is Cockney rhyming slang but Collins says "New Zealand". How does Swede rhyme with head (unless the Cockney was Scottish)?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Rutabaga comes from the Swedish Rotobagga (ram root). It is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip. It is commonly called Kalrot in Sweden or cabbage /kale root.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The geographically determined definitions of turnips and swedes led to my only home brewing disaster. I used a turnip wine recipe with swedes and the sulphurous, bad eggy scented fermented liquid was a gag inducing undrinkable toxic potion. How was I to know that the things that I used for turnip lanterns at halloween up in the North East were swedes and not turnips?
No pumpkins?
We carve the pumpkin for Hallowe'en lanterns. I also live near where they celebrate the pumpkin with long standing festivities
Parade

Displays
Highwood-Pumpkin-Fest.jpg

Shooting pumpkins for distance

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPOtHg5Cd02Y432ETX2Dee2MGKT_0IJqg_P3eZs2UTSgoLAMuZ.jpg

doughnuts
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO9ia5UgCXUpEaSrU5xkgVKBf3lZN45lcCIhhR_CkJc6b0LeGGzQ.jpg

Canning
rif0uwyflf7ljone70la.jpg

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Easy turnip recipe, 30 mins in microwave. Peel and it gives same result as chopping amd boiling. The chopping of turnip is not for the weak

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 3523800, member: 9609"]that would be a very strange way of saying the word "Turneep" if it Neeps derived from how it was said would they not be know as "Nups" which would be quite good, instead of having 'sheep and neeps' it would be 'Tups on Nups'

@Fnaar Have you ever heard of them being referred to as baygees ? As a child I don't think I knew them by any other name. I can only find one reference to the word on the internet LINK a book by the author James Runcimen, when i look up the Author he comes from Cresswell which is just a couple of mile up the coast from where i come from, so i'm thinking it must have been a fairly local word.
My wife is 100% geordie and she has never heard the word before. She reckon it's a 'Snannie' or at least you would go out with your Snannie on halloweens night collecting a penny for the guy.[/QUOTE]

Nope, baygee is new to me, but then I'm a southerner ☺Not heard snannie either. But I bet I'll hear both now.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have it down as snadger, snaggies, or narkies, according some article in wiki. I did hear snadger reference as a child, but part of my mom's family was from Yorkshire.

PK99

Legendary Member
Grow your own turnips and pluck them screaming from the ground when nobbut golf ball size - all the flavour of a big one concentrated in a small one. Full size they are too watery.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Top Bottom