Middle Class Life Saver Of The Week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was eating avocados before they were trendy or, in some cases, ripe.

I'm not buying avocado, out of solidarity with millennials who are not allowed it because it will render them unable ever to buy a house

Avocados have been cheap for a long time. They were really, really expensive in the 1970s so farmers across the subtropics planted avocado trees to get rich. Planned failed as millions of trees matured at the same time, and the price plummeted in early 80s.

They are still pretty cheap from around a pound each at a supermarket, down to several (at least) for a pound at a market stall (I've got 10 once, as it was closing up). I bought 4 at Tescos last night for considerably less than the cost of a flat white, which millennials seem to be able to afford.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I tried quinoa recently and what a disaster that was; within an hour I was in agony with trapped wind and a couple of hours later the trapped wind worked its way to the end and the stink was unbearable, like a Parisian sewer only twice as strong. Never again.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Why eat that, when you could be eating Robert Carrier's Aubergine Mould?

Why eat that, when you could be eating Robert Carrier's Aubergine Mould?
Why pick that? It's about the least disgusting dish on that page.
1691.jpg

Um... 70s cookbooks... Yeah... :wacko:

As long as you leave the stone in the half you don't need, avocado will keep for a couple of days wrapped in cling film. I'm a sucker for avocado on toast for lunch - with just a wee bit of salt and pepper. I either get my avocadoes on yellow sticker when they're marked right down, or off the market when you can get a respectable quantity (4, 5, sometimes more) for £1. Keep them in the veg drawer in the fridge - stops them from ripening too quickly.

P.S. I love them when they're really soft.

Top Bottom