Miles or Km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Surely it's simple to know which units to use at any given time........

Anything less than an inch is measured in mm
between an inch and a foot is inches, and then feet till about 6'6"
Then switch to meters until you get to a mile.

Temperature is in celsius - unless we're talking about the weather - when its Farenheit; unless it's freezing cold when it switches back to celsius again.

Weight is grams for owt less than a pound, then pounds for a bit before we switch to stones. Unless its in Kilos.

Volume is Litres.... unless its milk, beer or petrol when its a pint, (or a gallon).

Area is square feet. No one knows/cares what a hectare or an acre is so the next unit of measurement is the "Football pitch", until we get to big places which are measured in units of "the size of Wales".

See, easy.... and as an added bonus it confuses the hell out of jonny foreigner :smile:
^^ This.

Now, attempt to explain why road numbers are pronounced the way they are, using less than 1000 words. Why is it "A four one nine" but "A four twenty" and "B four thousand"? You must cover all permutations.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Thanks. I now finally understand how it works.

Or do I?

You need to amend your sentence regarding volume. There's an error there, I'm sure it wasn't intended to be like that. We buy petrol in liters.

And one more thing. You need to add Olympic size swimming pools to when volume gets really big.

We buy petrol in litres, but measure consumption in miles per gallon..... obviously!

Have to admit I'd forgotten about the Olympic Swimming Pool - careless of me, I'll be sure to have words with myself. :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Miles because people annoy me when they abuse apostrophes and write KM's when the plural of KM should be KMs.
The plural of km is "km". (Symbols do not have a plural form, eg: 25 kg, not 25 kgs.) TMN award to @IaninSheffield
https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si-brochure/SI-Brochure-9.pdf
"Unit symbols are mathematical entities and not abbreviations. They are not followed by a period [full stop] except at the end of a sentence, and one must neither use the plural nor mix unit symbols and unit names within one expression."
HTH

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
We buy petrol in litres, but measure consumption in miles per gallon..... obviously!

Have to admit I'd forgotten about the Olympic Swimming Pool - careless of me, I'll be sure to have words with myself. :smile:
If we still bought petrol in gallons, no-one would drive any more. FIVE POUNDS?!

Top Bottom