Miles or Km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Most American cyclists seem to have the metric system quite well figured out.

We are working at bringing the rest up to speed.
I was surprised to notice, while watching a US pro race on the telly (I think the Tour of California) that the on-screen distance-to-finish was in miles. I would have thought that for cycle sport purposes, especially a UCI World Tour one (if it was indeed the Tour of California), that everything would be in the standard km. I guess that's up to the broadcaster.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If all the UK road signs were in km we’d not be having this conversation. We just use what is convenient to the country’s setup. I don’t travel through Europe converting everything to miles, I just go with the local unit of distance.
True, but I don't remember the last time I paid any attention to a distance road sign. I got a satnav / bike GPS to do that.

My car satnav is obviously in miles so I have feedback on keeping below the speed limit and get a warning tone if I encroach.

snorri

Legendary Member
True, but I don't remember the last time I paid any attention to a distance road sign. I got a satnav / bike GPS to do that. My car satnav is obviously in miles so I have feedback on keeping below the speed limit and get a warning tone if I encroach.
I liked the distance road signs when on the A9 between Perth and Inverness where it was usualy possible to maintain a steady 60 mph throughout the trip, and the distance in miles could be converted to time in minutes until I reached my destination.
Edit. Before the days of satnav of course:smile:.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was surprised to notice, while watching a US pro race on the telly (I think the Tour of California) that the on-screen distance-to-finish was in miles. I would have thought that for cycle sport purposes, especially a UCI World Tour one (if it was indeed the Tour of California), that everything would be in the standard km. I guess that's up to the broadcaster.
That is quite odd, I suppose the broadcaster thought that the general public here might be interested. We have many races here in metric distances, and even some just plain old rides, like the local metric century.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes but if everything was km and speed limits in km would you still have your sat nav in miles?
It's clever, it swaps itself automatically to km when it crosses the channel. And it reminds me to drive on the right when I set off. (Or is that my wife? I get the two confused sometimes)

RobinS

Veteran
When in the car or Campervan I switch the satnav to KM when I cross the channel. On bikes, since we tour in continental Europe more than in the UK we use kilometres all the time. People back home in the UK always ask "How many miles did you cycle?" or "How many miles do you do each day?", and I always give the figures in kilometres!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Surely it's simple to know which units to use at any given time........

Anything less than an inch is measured in mm
between an inch and a foot is inches, and then feet till about 6'6"
Then switch to meters until you get to a mile.

Temperature is in celsius - unless we're talking about the weather - when its Farenheit; unless it's freezing cold when it switches back to celsius again.

Weight is grams for owt less than a pound, then pounds for a bit before we switch to stones. Unless its in Kilos.

Volume is Litres.... unless its milk, beer or petrol when its a pint, (or a gallon).

Area is square feet. No one knows/cares what a hectare or an acre is so the next unit of measurement is the "Football pitch", until we get to big places which are measured in units of "the size of Wales".

See, easy.... and as an added bonus it confuses the hell out of jonny foreigner :smile:

anothersam

SMIDSMe

Temperature is in celsius - unless we're talking about the weather - when its Farenheit; unless it's freezing cold when it switches back to celsius again.

Weight is grams for owt less than a pound, then pounds for a bit before we switch to stones. Unless its in Kilos.

Volume is Litres.... unless its milk, beer or petrol when its a pint, (or a gallon).

Area is square feet. No one knows/cares what a hectare or an acre is so the next unit of measurement is the "Football pitch", until we get to big places which are measured in units of "the size of Wales".

See, easy.... and as an added bonus it confuses the hell out of jonny foreigner :smile:
You're so right it's eerie.

Thanks. I now finally understand how it works.

Or do I?

You need to amend your sentence regarding volume. There's an error there, I'm sure it wasn't intended to be like that. We buy petrol in liters.

And one more thing. You need to add Olympic size swimming pools to when volume gets really big.

Top Bottom