Miles or Km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the Northern Territory of Australia, they measure distances in tubies or stubbies.

This is the time or distance needed for the driver to drink a can/bottle of beer and throw it out of the window.

NT has an unusually poor accident record.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
A Kind Of Blue by Kilometer Davies, is just wrong.

Last edited:

Porcia

Had a friend at college who answered a question on an exam paper, where it said "preferred units" he used furlongs per fortnight, I believe the answer was correct but he got markdown for being a smart ass

Aravis

Putrid Donut
OK here's my suggestion. The Standard Pootle is the distance covered at pootling pace in an hour.

Roughly speaking:

1 Pootle per hour (pph) is pootling pace
1.5 pph is a medium relaxed ride without stopping (for me, at least)
2.5 pph is about club run pace
3 - 3.5 pph is pro peloton cruising pace
The hour record is a bit over 4 pph
We can replace both the imperial and metric centuries with a decapootle as it's in the right ballpark.
Audax Randonees will come in at around 15 pootles.

I'm proposing 13.09* km or 8.13* mi as the Standard Pootle.
* approx
I thought you were on the right tract with urinary pauses.

I reckon mine occur roughly every 15-20 miles. If I were to process my GPS tracks I could probably find out precisely, since any pause of over a minute is likely to involve urination. There may be occasions when I make a precautionary stop immediately before a known photo opportunity so that I can be comfortable when taking the picture. Perhaps when two stops occur sufficiently close together one should be disregarded.

Should I need to self-isolate in the coming days this is a project I will be glad to have up my sleeve. My guess would be that a 200km Audax will be about 7ps. Your frequency may vary.

The metre is based on a very flawed calculation of the distance from the Equator to the North Pole, whereas the mile is a totally accurate and unimpeachable measure of 1,000 paces made by a Roman legionary ^_^
I thought it was from Barcelona to Paris being 1,000 km which was wrong. Either way it is a flawed measurement.

I use miles. I seem to be able to guess distances in miles travelled.
I also prefer to use yards, feet, inches and fractions as opposed to millipedes although I'm using them to make a model at the moment .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Miles because people annoy me when they abuse apostrophes and write KM's when the plural of KM should be KMs.

Top Bottom