Million dollar question, how to go faster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I hate to break it to you Rich but there is unlikely to be a million dollars at the end of this speedy rainbow.
If you want to improve in cycling you need to TRAIN yourself, this does not mean that every time you go out you ride 'on the rivet' in an attempts to go faster than last time which is what you appear to be doing. You seem to have ambitions to ride endurance events (85 miles is a long way for a new cyclist) so training to spend more time in the saddle at a reasonable pace rather than all out speed would be a better goal. Most agree that you need base miles before working on speed.
Not all upgrades to a basic bike are designed for speed, a better saddle for instance will improve comfort.
Diet is also important and you should look into this before spending your money on gels etc.

ianwoodi

I have done 20.4 mph over 40km on rolling hills and have been cycling for 18 months never done any other sport and I am 53 just have to do longer rides and race yourself against strava so plenty of room for performance also lost weight now 10stone

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
If you're being left behind when going out for a group, perhaps you're just not that used to group riding? You have to stay pretty close to the guy in front to get the benefit, once you lag behind a few feet it gets harder and harder to keep up.

18mph hilly == 20+ in flatter conditions with a group, I would have thought.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Thanks for the advice Ayceejay, I am happy to keep training and understand that improvements will come with time and more miles under my belt. I'm not actively trying to do endurance events but there is an event called 'Lap the Lough' which follows the shores of Lough Neagh in NI and it's only on once a year so I have signed myself up rather than wait another year even if I would be more capable of doing it next year. It's true that I am going out on most rides with the aim of going at a high pace and maybe I should just be enjoying the ride at a slower pace. My problem is that I have very limited time to go out on the bike due to long work hours and with a young family at home that I need to spend some time with. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it and will just enjoy my time on the bike rather than trying to push myself to the limit each time.

That's good going Ian, great motivation. Thanks

ayceejay

Guru
I think you got that Rich. As the USAsians say about time spent with the kids - make it quality time - and the same applies to time on the bike. Stay with it and the kids grow up, perhaps you change jobs etc.
BTW I think it is a good idea to set yourself goals but perhaps have long term goals as well.
Lap the Lough eh? sounds good.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Thanks for the advice Ayceejay, I am happy to keep training and understand that improvements will come with time and more miles under my belt. I'm not actively trying to do endurance events but there is an event called 'Lap the Lough' which follows the shores of Lough Neagh in NI and it's only on once a year so I have signed myself up rather than wait another year even if I would be more capable of doing it next year. It's true that I am going out on most rides with the aim of going at a high pace and maybe I should just be enjoying the ride at a slower pace. My problem is that I have very limited time to go out on the bike due to long work hours and with a young family at home that I need to spend some time with. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it and will just enjoy my time on the bike rather than trying to push myself to the limit each time.

That's good going Ian, great motivation. Thanks
Twice a year :smile: There's the commercial clusterfvck full of noobs(Lap the lough) who can't ride bikes and the Freewheelers DSD have a run also.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Twice a year :smile: There's the commercial clusterfvck full of noobs(Lap the lough) who can't ride bikes and the Freewheelers DSD have a run also.
I blame that list of events you sent me a few weeks ago. I've also entered the Causeway Coast Challenge which is 60 miles long on 28th July and wanted something to work towards in August so entered Lap the Lough. Think that will be my lot for the summer and will go out on a few rides myself the rest of the time.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I blame that list of events you sent me a few weeks ago. I've also entered the Causeway Coast Challenge which is 60 miles long on 28th July and wanted something to work towards in August so entered Lap the Lough. Think that will be my lot for the summer and will go out on a few rides myself the rest of the time.
Team Madigan Torr Head Challenge late September

BarryBonkers

Regular
I expected improvement from a non cycler to a regular cyclist who goes out 3 times a week and does around 25-30 miles each time. I'm quite fit and play a couple of other sports so my base fitness is already there but I can't seem to shave much time off my regular routes.

There are three things that will make you faster; rest, diet, and structured training. To learn how to get proper rest, how to eat properly, and how to train so that your body super-compensates and adapts to higher workloads, there is a simple solution. Employ a cycling coach.

While you might think you already know how to do these three things ("Eat? Of course I know how to eat," you might say, or "Rest is sleeping, right?", or "I train flat-out. What's wrong with that?"), a professional coach will take everything to a new level. Your knowledge of how your body works, of the importance of rest for physiological adaptation, and of how to get the best out of yourself will increase dramatically. To find a coach, stick "british cycling coaches" into Google.

In comparison, changing parts of the bike will make little difference.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
@BarryBonkers I doubt the original poster wants be that serious but I may be wrong. The reality for the majority of us is that you need to cycle more and eat properly and listen to what your body is telling you. I can average 17.5mph on my daily commute, can sometimes squeeze 19mph if I`m feeling particulary good and the wind is in my favour but..... the only way I reckon I could keep up with the fast dudes on the commute is to get fitter and lose a wee bit weight.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
i'm not convinced there isn't a degree of one up manship/macho saber rattling amoungst some riders...by which I mean those who claim averages iro 20mph + and actually don't base that claim on the computer but their own gut feeling/impressions ...just saying 'cos my average is 25mph;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you think you should be able to avg 20-21 on a solo ride in hilly terrain, you're dreaming, imho.
Just keep on doing what you're doing and ride with groups more often. This kind of pace is fairly achievable assuming you are not the only one on the front, all ride. I suppose it depends on your definition of hilly. Proper hilly rides will be nothing like 20, unless you are very good.

chernij

Losing weight is probably the most important factor! When I played sports regularly before injury I'd say I was pretty fit, but my weight (I believe) held me back on the bike. I lost 2 stone and instantly felt a difference up hills, probably added an extra mph or so onto average speed.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I think I just have too many competitive colleagues and family members who cycle which has led to a bit of self doubt when I now realise that I am cycling at a fairly decent pace and needn't worry about trying to go at race speeds as I have no intention or desire to race. I guess the burning question I had in my head was 'are these guys quicker because they have carbon bikes and better wheels etc?' but now I realise that they are quicker because they have been cycling for longer and in clubs so they have the fitness and experience behind them.

Top Bottom