Mini CycleChat Tour - Mosel River in Germany, May 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
So... following on from my very enjoyable solo tour of the Mosel River in Germany last May, and in conversation with Ianrauk, it seems to me that it might be rather fun to have a group of CycleChatters doing a similar tour next year.

May seems to be a suitable time as the weather is generally good and the Germans aren't on holidays so there aren't any problems with accommodation. BUT the wretched Pfingsten holiday (Whitsun) is the weekend of 22nd-23rd which is a VERY busy time and means that it's hard to find accomodation, so we might have to work round this.

Initial plan is to take the overnight ferry on the Friday night (whatever Friday it ends up date-wise) from Harwich to Hoek van Holland. Then to take the train (well, five of 'em) to Trier which is along the Moselle almost to Luxembourg. Then we start cycling back. We can do the whole Moselle in 4 days or could take it slower and enjoy the sights more. We can then start our way homewards along the Rhine before catching the train back to Hoek van Holland on the following Saturday (using the special German 'Weekend-ticket' on the trains) and getting the Saturday Night/Sunday morning overnight ferry home to Harwich.

As a rough guide, Ferry and train tickets will be about £70 each way, accommodation will be £30-£40 each day, food extra. I will be sleeping in B&Bs, I don't do camping. If people were willing to share the accommodation would be perhaps £10 less per night.

I'd be interested to know who might be up for this, to see if it's a worthwhile plan investigating further.

I might be interested in that.
I visit Germany quite a bit and like the culture and beer!
I kinda depends on what standard of cycle / cycle rider need apply.
I have a Trek 7.3 FX, and I can quite happily do 60-70 miles a day.
My average speed is about 14-15 mph.
I also don't have a lot of storage space on my bike (just a small saddlebag and a 30 litre rucksack). I have a 60 litre rucksack but that might be a bit big to cycle in, it is my hiking one.
Would I make the grade?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Are you sure you can make the Mosel last four whole days? I would recommend doing 60 miles a day and getting in as much of the lower Rhine as possible. For instance a night out in Dusseldorf is not a thing to be missed.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm interested. Not bothered about Dusseldorf - I've spent enough time in German cities.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I would love to do this, but I have opted for a week long tour of Holland, taking in the blooming tulip fields etc in late April/Early May. The company I work for has a Dutch office, and they are researching places for me to go/things to do that are off the 'normal' tourist beaten path.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Traben-Trarbach was nice when I went, but I can't be sure we'd stay there GrumpyGreg.

Andy, I think the Mosel is a lovely place to spend several days. But any left over time will be northwards up the Rhine - not that I was particularly thrilled by Düsseldorf last time! You should come and join us for this expedition.

Redvers

Would also be interested….
Again not bothered about Dusseldorf or other cities, would be quite happy to stick to the Mosel and the smaller towns.
Would probably have to meet up with the group in or near Trier.

“Wenn man einander schreibt, ist man wie durch ein Seil verbunden”
Franz Kafka

Four days would make for a nice relaxed tour.

The last time I did the Mosel it was by car and took four nights from Koblenz to Trier. Mind you there was a lot of time spent sampling the local produce:biggrin:

Would love to join but May is a very bad month for travel for me, have fun!

Chonker

Veteran
I could be interested, will depend if I can get the money together (and when my student loan comes through!)

Top Bottom