Mini pump, yes I'm angry..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
phil_hg_uk said:
I have a TOPEAK Road Morph excellent pump.

813-2216-main-road-84.jpg

I second (third, whatever...) this - a great piece of kit.

But CO2 cylinders are good too - in a mini-pump so you can inflate the new tube first then use the compressed gas to do the hard work.

threebikesmcginty said:
I have a topeak pocket rocket - can't say if it's any good or not as I've never used it. Probably will now I've said that.
It was about 10,000 km before I needed to use mine. Last years Etape Caledonia (I and 1000 others couldn't really avoid a p'ture that day). Unfortunately since, I've used it a few times and been impressed but that's probably because I wasn't expecting so much of a small pump :tongue:

taxing

Money no object: Topeak Road Morph G. £25 - £29

Budget Choice: Specialized Airtool Road £10-£12

Bonus Old School Cred Choice: Zefal HPX £20ish.

This is a daft question I know, but what's the differnece between the Specialized Airtool Road and the MTB version? The MTB version looks shorter so would fit in my bag better, does that make it crappy? I'm not on a MTB, does that matter?

This is a daft question I know, but what's the differnece between the Specialized Airtool Road and the MTB version? The MTB version looks shorter so would fit in my bag better, does that make it crappy? I'm not on a MTB, does that matter?

I'm guessing the MTB version is shorter because it does lower pressure, whereas higher pressures are needed for road bike. What bike are you on?

Broadside

Guru
I've got both the Specialized Airtool MTB and Road pumps. The MTB is good for quick inflation up to about 60psi but then you cannot get much more in to the tyre. The Road pump takes ages (twice as long to get to the same pressure and about 3 times more strokes), but you can go much higher, they state up to 120psi. I normally get up to 100psi before I get bored of using it - it is just a get-me-home-after-a-puncture-pump for me.

The Road pump is much much smaller and looks much neater on a road bike frame. Even though it is slow to use if I were to buy again I would get the Road pump as it gets the pressure you need (if of course you have a road bike), if you have an MTB then the MTB version will suffice. Sounds obvious now I've put it like that...

Norm

I'm guessing the MTB version is shorter because it does lower pressure, whereas higher pressures are needed for road bike. What bike are you on?
Volume vs. pressure. MTB bikes are bigger but lower pressure, so an MTB pump will move more air but they struggle to get to the pressure needed for a road tyre.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Poundland sell them but they're absolute rubbish - the connector doesn't provide enough grip on the valve and you laet more air out than you put in.

I want my pound back!

Pumps are funny things. LOL they seem to be programmed to fail when you want them the most. My working pump is a Blackburn Air Stick, which I have had for a few years now, but I have learnt to not trust pumps, they do strange things like go for walkabouts, or fail to pump air as the O rings have rotted. Thus one day I wandered into our LBS, to buy a standby pump to carry on my travels, the guy handed me this small plastice object and said 3 pounds mate, you must be having a laugh I said, No trust me, it a good bit of Kit.
I must say it the best 3 pounds I have spent pump wise, made in some Ear East sweat shop i think, it pumps a greater volume each stroke than the blackburn, is 2 inches opps 5 cms shorter, and does not look so attractive to meddlesome fingers, and the name on this wonder of Asian science PUSH Headrush

So if you see on on sale, buy it, cos Robert says so.LOL

Top Bottom