Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Now that it's going ahead , will it make a difference ?

Lot of people going on about nanny states etc, but personally I think it's worth trying it.
Not as a quick fix , but as part of a long term attempt to reduce the damage caused by alcohol use / abuse.

Doing nothing isn't really an option any longer.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Opens the market for booze smuggling from England.

Transit vans will be going round estates in Scotland selling booze out of the back.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not sure about this really. I like a drink occasionally and price is not a factor or concern for me. People from less affluent environments will still drink for all the same reasons that they already do, but this will now take up even more of their limited income and lead too greater hardship and it will be the people around them that suffer the most.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yes, something needs to be done, but as stated there are too many gangsters and schemers ready and willing to make a few quid out of the situation.
Also, how will it stop an addict? Hard drugs are illegal, but addicts still get their hands on them.

U

User6179

I wonder if it would be legal to buy from a supermarket in England and have a Scottish branch deliver it?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It won't make any difference. People will find the extra money, it will only be extra revenue for the treasury.

Last edited:
Extra revenue that could be invested in better therapeutic interventions and support for recovering alcoholics, alcohol awareness for young people, education, healthcare and all sorts of socially useful things?

Excellent! Bring it on!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
[QUOTE 5043917, member: 10119"]Extra revenue that could be invested in better therapeutic interventions and support for recovering alcoholics, alcohol awareness for young people, education, healthcare and all sorts of socially useful things?

Excellent! Bring it on![/QUOTE]
Do you honestly believe that? I wish I could share your faith. Have you ever wondered why we have so many charities in this country?

Let me look it up for you. Yes it has. In 1974 over 50% of adult men and over 40% of adult women smoked. In 2015 the equivalent numbers are 19% and 15%.

And the majority of the teens think that it is _deeply_ uncool these days, based on the responses of my teen and his mates. Assuming you are talking about smoking straight fags, natch.

Funny thing - a friend of a friend is the tory MP who was largely responsible for the stricter rules and regulations about cigarette marketing/display etc getting implemented. Can't remember her name... Girl done good, I reckon.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm concerned about the slippery slope. Soon it will be everywhere and they will keep on increasing the minimum price until it's unaffordable to nearly everyone. Governments would ban alcohol if it was a new drug, like they do every other.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As i understand it, all it's really going to affect is super-cheap-super-strong booze such as Diamond White and cheap wine from Aldi and Lidl. I heard on the radio that's going to be 50p per unit... most 'normal' booze already works out more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom