Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5044130, member: 10119"]Should we legalise those currently illegal drugs, do you think? Is it nanny state do-gooding for cannabis/crack to be illegal?[/QUOTE]

Since you ask, IMHO, that would be a yes.

It is quite clear we have lost "the war on drugs". Far better to legalise them and control them in the same way as alcohol.

If adults choose to self destruct, that is their choice.

But, I have a few caveats, which are applicable not only to illegal drugs, but, the legal ones too... ie tobacco, alcohol. So, as far as I am concerned consumption of a substance (illegal or otherwise) is not an acceptable excuse for bad behaviour. For example, the well used excuse of ".. I had drunk x cans of lager and cannot remember .. insert suitable crime ... " just does not wash. If adults choose to consume behaviour changing substances, then, they have to accept responsibility for the consequences.

Before anyone asks:

1. I have never smoked, except for a brief period as a youth (long time ago)
2. I have never taken, nor do I have any wish to take, any (currently) illegal substances.
3. I do drink alcohol (approximately within current guidelines).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Personally I'd legalise all drugs for personal consumption in private, but make it a serious matter to be under the influence of said drugs in a public place. Making drugs illegal just generates profits for criminals, and makes people commit crime to obtain money to buy drugs from illegal dealers. It doesn't actually stop people taking drugs. Alcohol prohibition in the USA achieved nothing whatsoever except to generate vast profits for gangsters and bootleggers. Same goes for drugs.
Ok... lets legalise drugs. And lets not have the 'nanny-state' telling anyone that they're bad for you... is that what you want?

MontyVeda

Before anyone asks:

1. I have never smoked, except for a brief period as a youth (long time ago)
2. I have never taken, nor do I have any wish to take, any (currently) illegal substances.
3. I do drink alcohol (approximately within current guidelines).
May is ask why you've never smoked, taken recreational drugs or drank to excess?

Could be anything to do with the 'nanny-state' lecturing the people about the risks involved with such things?

Mr Celine

Discordian
It won't make any difference. People will find the extra money, it will only be extra revenue for the treasury.

[QUOTE 5043917, member: 10119"]Extra revenue that could be invested in better therapeutic interventions and support for recovering alcoholics, alcohol awareness for young people, education, healthcare and all sorts of socially useful things?

Excellent! Bring it on![/QUOTE]

They aren't increasing the duty, just making selling cheap drink illegal.

This may bring in some extra revenue through VAT or corportation tax on the drinks companies profits, which may increase due to the higher prices they will have to charge.

Now the good news. Ever since the Scotch Whisky Association have been opposing this sensible measure in the courts the Celine household has been boycotting their products. No whisky worth drinking is less than 50p a unit anyway.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ok... lets legalise drugs. And lets not have the 'nanny-state' telling anyone that they're bad for you... is that what you want?
I don't think anything would change much, I don't think any more people would start taking them than currently do. I've got a couple of friends who work in the field and the main focus these days for them is minimising risk associated with consumption.

The other thing is if Chemists/Pharmacies were allowed once again to sell these products then the issues around quality/strength/adulteration could be addressed leading to far fewer deaths.

MontyVeda

I don't think anything would change much, I don't think any more people would start taking them than currently do. I've got a couple of friends who work in the field and the main focus these days for them is minimising risk associated with consumption.

The other thing is if Chemists/Pharmacies were allowed once again to sell these products then the issues around quality/strength/adulteration could be addressed leading to far fewer deaths.
The point to address is the second part... Skipdiver was moaning about being lectured by the 'nanny-state' and that's the point i was raising.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've tried just about everything - legal and illegal - cheap and expensive

I see little point in this latest price hike personally

classic33

Leg End Member
May is ask why you've never smoked, taken recreational drugs or drank to excess?

Could be anything to do with the 'nanny-state' lecturing the people about the risks involved with such things?
Me, I never wanted anyone saying they were responsible for anything else.

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5044225, member: 9609"]I'm curious as to what the supplier will do, will they let the shop earn more from their sales or will they have a separate price for the shops they supply in Scotland (which would probably be illegal) , and will they somehow try and prevent chains north and south of the border vanning it up to their scottish outlets.

Personally I think england should just follow scotlands lead.[/QUOTE]

Hmm yes it's probably the retailers (ie the big supermarkets) who are going to see their profits increase rather than the drink companies. Even if the latter could negotiate different prices north and south of the border it would be hard to police.

OTOH many years ago the now Mrs Celine was living in Eyemouth and used to go shopping in Berwick. The supermarkets were full of exotic English produce such as Tartan Bitter, McEwans Best Scotch and Carling Black label. Five miles north in Eyemouth the first two were branded as Tartan Special and McEwans 80 /- whilst the third was thankfully unavailable.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

I don't need to be told that taking drugs can be bad for you. OD on the wrong stuff, and you're dead. Smoke ciggies for long enough and there's a good chance you'll get cancer or some other unpleasant respiratory disease. Drink stupid amounts of booze and you'll eventually pickle your liver. Anyone with half a brain knows that doing all these things can be harmful, especially if taken to excess. We don't need a bunch of self-righteous, busybody middle-class finger waggers to point out the bloody obvious!
For the record:- 1) I don't take illegal drugs. 2) I don't smoke. 3) I do drink, and drink more than the "experts" say I should. 4) I also eat whatever sorts of foods I like the taste of, whether they are healthy or unhealthy.

MarkF

Guru
Opens the market for booze smuggling from England.

Transit vans will be going round estates in Scotland selling booze out of the back.

Nailed it in just the second post.

What load of catmuck! I work in a hospital I know what it's always full of, cluttering up beds and suffering long term related ailments....................fast food fatso's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom