Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm a grown up and if I choose to do something that's bad for me, or even downright dangerous, it's my right to do so.

Is it your right to make everyone else subsidise your 'grown up' behaviour? Are you completely oblivious to the burden on the state created by such 'grown up' behaviour? Are you really as 'grown up' as you think you are?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Whats 8Ace gonna do now?
Screen-Shot-2015-03-18-at-18.13.371-1024x715.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
How does booze fit in to the equation? Wasn't it recently shown that smoking was a net gain to the Treasury, by a long chalk? Yes, there's a huge emotional costs for those and their families who suffer ill heath, but is that actually any business of HMG? Are we allowed to make our own mistakes? I certainly don't want to delegate my life to Westminster.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Nailed it in just the second post.

What load of catmuck! I work in a hospital I know what it's always full of, cluttering up beds and suffering long term related ailments....................fast food fatso's!

But your hospital isn't in Scotland. Average alcohol consumption is 20% higher up here.

Joffey

Big Dosser
There is something inherent about Glasgow that makes people drink more?

Yeah, everyone is miserable and ignorant. Drink is their only friend.

Isn't cycling a healthy pastime which means you're less likely to need the NHS until later on life? In more enlightened countries you can get subsidized for exercise and exercise equipment. Gym costs come out of your tax, bikes do too I think my Sweden living friend once told me. So if you do take a spill in sure you'll probably still do better than break even over a cycling lifetime.

Drugs and alcohol have no positive effect on your health. Well prescription drugs for medical reasons excepted if course.

I understand that because of duties on tobacco products there is research out there saying smokers give more to the pot than take out because of their filthy habit. Drink and illegal drugs don't contribute more AFAIK. If course illegally obtained drug profits probably gets used for legal purchases which gives something back.

Personally I think this is the wrong way to go about it but the principle of trying to change behaviour from an unhealthy one to a healthier one is a good idea. I'd certainly like to live longer and stay active for longer. The price of giving up excessive alcohol and no smoking is a small price to pay for that.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
May is ask why you've never smoked, taken recreational drugs or drank to excess?

Could be anything to do with the 'nanny-state' lecturing the people about the risks involved with such things?

You may certainly ask, and, I will attempt to answer:

1. I did not say I never smoked, I said I smoked for a short period in my youth. Decided, I did not like it.

2. I did not say I never drank to excess, I said I approximately drank within the currently advised limits. I most certainly have drunk to excess, on more than one occasion, and, sometimes, still do. However, on balance, I think the hangover is not worth the fun. So, I stick to my limits. It so happens that, AFAIK, two/three bottles of red, plus three/four pints of beer, and an occasional brandy, per week, are, on average, roughly within the "guidelines".

3. I do not like taking drugs, legal or illegal. Even the legal ones have undesirable side effects, which, even the nanny state does not advertise. Indeed, one of the reasons I returned to cycling, was, to increase my exercise levels and decrease my weight and blood pressure, rather than simply pop an extra pill. It worked, and, I enjoy it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
[QUOTE 5044225, member: 9609"]I'm curious as to what the supplier will do, will they let the shop earn more from their sales or will they have a separate price for the shops they supply in Scotland (which would probably be illegal) , and will they somehow try and prevent chains north and south of the border vanning it up to their scottish outlets.

Personally I think england should just follow scotlands lead.[/QUOTE]

I think they may re-build Hadrian's Wall.

- Good news for Stonemasons.
- Not sure how long it will take to get Planning Permission however.
- No doubt it will be necessary to ship the labour in from Eastern Europe

U

User482

As Rod Liddle said on Question Time last night, its just a tax on the poor. The middle classes will continue to drink just as much, if not more, whilst quaffing their unchanged Sauvignon Blanc and bemoaning the 'common people' with their Aldi cider.

#notpolitics
How is that different to taxing tobacco? Or petrol?

As far as I'm concerned, if you find yourself agreeing with Rod Liddle, it's time to stop and have a think.

U

User482

Stop clocks are right twice a day and of course no different.

Edit: Of course its different!! Its a minimum price on alcohol, it only affects the cheap stuff.

#notpolitics
My point was that the middle classes are better able to afford tobacco and petrol. Taxes affect them far less. I find Liddle to be rather less than sincere in his claims to be concerned about the plight of poor drinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom