Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Lacquer Lads used to use lemonade and hairspray. The propellant has probably changed for environmental reasons so I don't know if it's still popular.

That reminds me, back in the late 70's and early 80's, sniffing glue was quite popular locally amongst teenagers who were too young to get served with alcohol. If you ventured into the underground car park on the local council estate you'd encounter them leaning against walls and sitting on car bonnets, high as a kite, inhaling their fix from one of those old-fashioned brown paper bags the greengrocer used to put your fruit in. People have always sought pleasure/escape through intoxication. If you price them out of one substance they'll get it from something else, possibly something more dangerous and harmful.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
screenman said:
How much disposable do you have to have before you become middle class?

If you asked that question to an American, they would quote you a range of so many Dollars a year income for each class. For them, their class system is fundamentally about earnings power. Not in this country though, at least not in a strict linear relationship. Our class system in this country is more about attitudes and culture. Money does play a part and generally the higher up the strata you are, the more wealthy you'll be, but it's not black and white. I'm 100% working class, yet I have a job in which I can earn a fair bit of money if I do the overtime hours - quite possibly I have a higher disposable income than a lot of people that I would refer to as "middle class". Culturally though, they and I are a world apart. I don't believe in busybodies poking their noses in other peoples business, and I believe that adults should take personal responsibility for doing stupid things, and not seek to pass the buck on to someone else. If you drink yourself to death or OD on drugs, you knew what you were doing and you got what you deserved. It's not the job of the nanny state to prevent people self-destructing - if that's the path they choose to go down.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
screenman said:
So assuming that somebody who is middle class can afford to buy expensive booze is possible wrong.
Some can afford it some can't. The point is, there is just as much middle class problem drinking as working class, but it's hidden. it mostly involves wine and is done behind closed doors. The booze involved is already above minimum price, so it won't affect this group. What you have now is a load of pious self-righteous health fascists targeting what they see as a visible problem with street drinking, whilst conveniently turning a blind eye to the hidden variety that lies much closer to home.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Some can afford it some can't. The point is, there is just as much middle class problem drinking as working class, but it's hidden. it mostly involves wine and is done behind closed doors. The booze involved is already above minimum price, so it won't affect this group. What you have now is a load of pious self-righteous health fascists targeting what they see as a visible problem with street drinking, whilst conveniently turning a blind eye to the hidden variety that lies much closer to home.

The middle class problem drinkers aren't the ones requiring a disproportionate amount of police, ambulance and A+E staff time at the local hospital. This is one of the problems that this measure is aimed at combatting.

I take it you're quite happy to pay through your taxes for the cost of the damage that cheap alcohol is doing to society.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Mr Celine said:
The middle class problem drinkers aren't the ones requiring a disproportionate amount of police, ambulance and A+E staff time at the local hospital. This is one of the problems that this measure is aimed at combatting.

I take it you're quite happy to pay through your taxes for the cost of the damage that cheap alcohol is doing to society.

I'm not happy about all the A & E timewasters and troublemakers, but I wouldn't mess around pandering to them myself. They'd simply be carted off in the back of a police meatwagon to a jail cell and get a prison sentence or very large fine at court for all the aggro they cause. Like I said, personal responsibility. Do what you choose to do in life, but YOU pay the consequences for bad behaviour. As a responsible drinker, I don't see why I should pay more for my pleasures just because of a load of idiots who can't handle their drink.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If you asked that question to an American, they would quote you a range of so many Dollars a year income for each class. For them, their class system is fundamentally about earnings power. Not in this country though, at least not in a strict linear relationship. Our class system in this country is more about attitudes and culture. Money does play a part and generally the higher up the strata you are, the more wealthy you'll be, but it's not black and white. I'm 100% working class, yet I have a job in which I can earn a fair bit of money if I do the overtime hours - quite possibly I have a higher disposable income than a lot of people that I would refer to as "middle class". Culturally though, they and I are a world apart. I don't believe in busybodies poking their noses in other peoples business, and I believe that adults should take personal responsibility for doing stupid things, and not seek to pass the buck on to someone else. If you drink yourself to death or OD on drugs, you knew what you were doing and you got what you deserved. It's not the job of the nanny state to prevent people self-destructing - if that's the path they choose to go down.

'Working class' are not the words I'd use to describe those attitudes. Those are basic Daily Mail peevish middle class attitudes .
I'm working class from a working class background and I don't share any of those prejudices so would you please not tar the rest of us blue collar folk with the same narrow brush.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not happy about all the A & E timewasters and troublemakers, but I wouldn't mess around pandering to them myself. They'd simply be carted off in the back of a police meatwagon to a jail cell and get a prison sentence or very large fine at court for all the aggro they cause. Like I said, personal responsibility. Do what you choose to do in life, but YOU pay the consequences for bad behaviour. As a responsible drinker, I don't see why I should pay more for my pleasures just because of a load of idiots who can't handle their drink.
A good friend of mine was found passed out in a doorway smelling of drink by the police who did precisely that to him.
Unfortunately he wasn't drunk but was suffering a stroke, if he'd been taken to hospital he may have survived but being stuck in a cell to 'sober up' overnight by the police meant that he died instead.

Siclo

Veteran

Not a solution. The cost of the police, and the courts, then the court again for resulting non fine payment and on and on.

A good friend of mine was found passed out in a doorway smelling of drink by the police who did precisely that to him.
Unfortunately he wasn't drunk but was suffering a stroke, if he'd been taken to hospital he may have survived but being stuck in a cell to 'sober up' overnight by the police meant that he died instead.

Condolences, although I'm aware they may be somewhat after the fact. What a dreadful way to go, or indeed to lose someone.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'm not happy about all the A & E timewasters and troublemakers, but I wouldn't mess around pandering to them myself. They'd simply be carted off in the back of a police meatwagon to a jail cell and get a prison sentence or very large fine at court for all the aggro they cause.

That's pretty much what happens now. Why should your and my taxes be wasted on paying for police time, the cost of transporting drunks, the use of jail cells, court expenses, judges and lawyers salaries etc etc? If minimum pricing reduces this then it's a good thing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Mr Celine said:
That's pretty much what happens now.

No it isn't. Visit an A & E these days and you'll find it full of drunk/drugged up idiots making a nuisance of themselves, annoying other patients, and harassing the nurses. This sort of behaviour just shouldn't be tolerated at all. In the past it wasn't this bad, a casualty dept didn't resemble a war zone. They shouldn't get any medical treatment, especially not at the taxpayer's expense. They should simply be removed immediately from the hospital and put in a police cell in whatever condition they are in. I couldn't care less what happens to them, they brought it on themselves. Anyone who attacks the nurses in the hospital should do prison time, no messing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom