Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My point was that the middle classes are better able to afford tobacco and petrol. Taxes affect them far less.
But the difference is that the middle class are paying the tobacco and petrol, even if they aren't worried about paying them.

But the middle class will not be paying this price at all, that's the difference.

It will make a 12% wine have to cost £4.50. If you are paying less than £4.50 for your wine, then please return your middle class card. Thank you for playing.

Try to look on the bright side. Politics suffuses all life, and each and every such instance demonstrates it.
Sure. Politics suffuses everything, and it can't be avoided.

But this thread is about a DECISION MADE IN PARLIAMENT BY POLITICIANS. It's not suffused, it's a literal discussion about politics.

If you are going to have a rule banning discussing politics, then surely at a minimum that must mean not starting discussion with things done and said by politicians. That has to be the narrowest possible definition.

iandg

Legendary Member
As i understand it, all it's really going to affect is super-cheap-super-strong booze such as Diamond White and cheap wine from Aldi and Lidl. I heard on the radio that's going to be 50p per unit... most 'normal' booze already works out more than that.

So it will have no effect on middle class alcoholism

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... AFAIK, two/three bottles of red, plus three/four pints of beer, and an occasional brandy, per week, are, on average, roughly within the "guidelines".

I think someone needs to lecture you on the guidelines... since you've exceeded them with just two bottles of red. :ohmy: ...and if you look closely, you'll find a list of possible side-effects on all prescribed drugs :okay:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
But the difference is that the middle class are paying the tobacco and petrol, even if they aren't worried about paying them.

But the middle class will not be paying this price at all, that's the difference.

It will make a 12% wine have to cost £4.50. If you are paying less than £4.50 for your wine, then please return your middle class card. Thank you for playing.

Is that "middle class" like the Middleton's are Middle Class?

If not, where do I send my card too?

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sure. Politics suffuses everything, and it can't be avoided.

But this thread is about a DECISION MADE IN PARLIAMENT BY POLITICIANS. It's not suffused, it's a literal discussion about politics.

No it isn't. @pjd57 started the thread to debate the effects of the Supreme Court decision that the Scottish Parliament can impose the minimum price for alcohol that it decided to impose in May 2012.
The politics behind the latest decision were all done and dusted by 2012. All of the political parties in Scotland support this measure so there is no political debate about it up here at all.

It's obviously current affairs but we'll keep quiet about that.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
if a person can only afford 4 cans and 2 loaves of bread a day, the rise in alcohol price will cause that same person to only afford 4 cans and one loaf of bread.

That's absolutely true, because problem drinkers, just like junkies, will prioritise obtaining their daily booze intake way ahead of "luxuries" like food, heating, or paying the rent. This is one reason why these chattering class health fascist types annoy the hell out of me; they invariably live a comfortable existence afforded them by a secure, salaried job. They endlessly pontificate about how anything deemed "unhealthy" should be taxed and made unaffordable, completely ignoring the fact that all that happens in reality is people of limited means will still find the money for the "bad" things regardless, only they then sacrifice the "good" things to pay for them - like keeping a house together and feeding their kids. The net result is all the do-gooders actually make the situation worse, but they self-congratulate themselves for "doing their bit" for society whilst polishing off another bottle of expensive Red at their dinner party table. A bunch of nauseating hypocrites....

OP
OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
It won't be a quick fix, but it's a start.
The people we probably all cycle past sitting in the park , or by the canals with their daily fix of cheap cider are unlikely to change.
But hopefully it will cut down the binge drinking in youngsters.
They won't stop chipping in a few quid each for their cargo , but they won't be able to get anywhere near as much booze for their pocket money.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I don't think an addict of any substance can be priced out of the market.

That said, I understand where they are coming from, although the increase should have been in TAX ( as with tobacco)

Mr Celine

Discordian
if a person can only afford 4 cans and 2 loaves of bread a day, the rise in alcohol price will cause that same person to only afford 4 cans and one loaf of bread.

If an alcoholic can only afford 4 cans and 2 loaves of bread a day they will buy 6 cans a day.
If price rises limit that to 5 cans it's a start.

Mr Celine

Discordian
It won't be a quick fix, but it's a start.
The people we probably all cycle past sitting in the park , or by the canals with their daily fix of cheap cider are unlikely to change.
But hopefully it will cut down the binge drinking in youngsters.
They won't stop chipping in a few quid each for their cargo , but they won't be able to get anywhere near as much booze for their pocket money.

Unfortunately it's not going to affect the price of Buckfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom