Minimum price for alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I live on the border of Denmark and Germany, the Danish side. We go into Germany for our beer and can get 3 cases of beer for a tenner. Much cheaper than in Denmark.

But we actually go to buy nuts as there is a huge amount of tax on nuts in Denmark.

I have just realised that we are "Nut Smugglers"

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As i understand it, all it's really going to affect is super-cheap-super-strong booze such as Diamond White and cheap wine from Aldi and Lidl. I heard on the radio that's going to be 50p per unit... most 'normal' booze already works out more than that.
I quite like 5% yellow beer, not exactly knockdown juice. A 500ml can would go up from £1.10 to £1.50 under Scottish rules. I'm glad I live in London.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Personally I'm sick to death of all these hand-wringing nanny state do-gooder types who keep lecturing us on what sort of food we should eat, how much alcohol we should limit ourselves to etc. As far as I'm concerned the whole lot of them should just **** off and keep their noses out of everyone else's business!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Personally I'm sick to death of all these hand-wringing nanny state do-gooder types who keep lecturing us on what sort of food we should eat, how much alcohol we should limit ourselves to etc. As far as I'm concerned the whole lot of them should just **** off and keep their noses out of everyone else's business!

Couldn't have put it better myself..... well said

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Couldn't have put it better myself..... well said

We have people getting obese on a diet of sugar packed convenience food. People drinking too much, smoking too much... putting a strain on our health service... and you don't think anyone's allowed to suggest a healthier way of living ??? :eek:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have people getting obese on a diet of sugar packed convenience food. People drinking too much, smoking too much... putting a strain on our health service... and you don't think anyone's allowed to suggest a healthier way of living ??? :eek:

Suggest is not the same as lecturing, slapping a tax on (whatever)....

If Government REALLY wanted to deter smoking, drinking alcohol and pigging out, they would raise the price to unaffordable levels. Instead, they increase them just enough to NOT deter it too much, hence ensuring the taxes continue to roll in.

As another poster mentioned, many drugs are illegal, does that stop people obtaining them or taking them? I don't think so.

Indeed, how positively anarchic! Taxation is a pretty standard item in the toolbox used to encourage behaviours considered desirable, like saving/pension planning/cycling to work isn't it? And nobody is proposing outlawing alkyfrolic drinks - just raising prices at the cheap-n-nasty end of the market. I don't think it is unreasonable for behaviours damaging to our world or our society, such as flying/driving/excessive drinking to cost a bit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE="MontyVeda] We have people getting obese on a diet of sugar packed convenience food. People drinking too much, smoking too much... putting a strain on our health service... and you don't think anyone's allowed to suggest a healthier way of living ??? :eek:[/QUOTE]

I'm a grown up and if I choose to do something that's bad for me, or even downright dangerous, it's my right to do so. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and back then kids were drinking just as much fizzy sugary drinks, and eating just as much junk food, as they do today. The reason we weren't fat back then is that we didn't sit around indoors all day gawking at the TV or playing computer games. We were out running around, climbing things, riding around on push bikes etc.
The same goes for the lardarse adults you see that are too lazy to walk a quarter of a mile to the shops so they take their car, or too lazy to walk home from the pub - so they call a minicab even though it's only a 10-minute walk.
The problem is not what people consume, it's the fact they don't DO any activity to work it off!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Suggest is not the same as lecturing, slapping a tax on (whatever)....

If Government REALLY wanted to deter smoking, drinking alcohol and pigging out, they would raise the price to unaffordable levels. Instead, they increase them just enough to NOT deter it too much, hence ensuring the taxes continue to roll in.

As another poster mentioned, many drugs are illegal, does that stop people obtaining them or taking them? I don't think so.
SkipdiverJohn was talking about being lectured, and suggested they keep their noses out of everyone's business. You agreed.
Should we not lecture people over the risks associated with their lifestyle?

Should we legalise those currently illegal drugs, do you think? Is it nanny state do-gooding for cannabis/crack to be illegal?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I believe they did a similar thing in Australia.

When a friend of mine went there for a six month stint, he said everyone just got ratted in the streets on wine boxes instead.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5044130, member: 10119"]Should we legalise those currently illegal drugs, do you think? Is it nanny state do-gooding for cannabis/crack to be illegal?[/QUOTE]

Personally I'd legalise all drugs for personal consumption in private, but make it a serious matter to be under the influence of said drugs in a public place. Making drugs illegal just generates profits for criminals, and makes people commit crime to obtain money to buy drugs from illegal dealers. It doesn't actually stop people taking drugs. Alcohol prohibition in the USA achieved nothing whatsoever except to generate vast profits for gangsters and bootleggers. Same goes for drugs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5044130, member: 10119"]Should we legalise those currently illegal drugs, do you think? Is it nanny state do-gooding for cannabis/crack to be illegal?[/QUOTE]
Yep, making something illegal just pushes things 'under the counter' allowing criminal organisations to make massive amounts of cash. Look at America under 'Prohibition'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom