Minor Stage Races 2016 **may contain SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
For an indication of how tough today's Pais Vasco stage was, there were about 30 DNF, including some proper big names - Martin, Kiryienka, Wellens, Gerrans, Gallopin, Simon Yates, Hesjedal, Barguil...

Maybe a case of tactical withdrawal in some cases, but even so... Crikey.

(ETA: TMN to @rich p - posted before catching up on the whole thread.)

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
For an indication of how tough today's Pais Vasco stage was, there were about 30 DNF, including some proper big names - Martin, Kiryienka, Wellens, Gerrans, Gallopin, Simon Yates, Hesjedal, Barguil...

Maybe a case of tactical withdrawal in some cases, but even so... Crikey.

Yet Rosa was in the break all day, then rode away from the others and never seemed to be in trouble.
Of course, he rides for Astana and we saw similar marvellous performances from some of their riders last year. I wonder what their secret is.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Yet Rosa was in the break all day, then rode away from the others and never seemed to be in trouble.
Of course, he rides for Astana and we saw similar marvellous performances from some of their riders last year. I wonder what their secret is.

I'm willing to give Rosa the benefit of the doubt - it's not like he's been smashing it every day, this was a one-off performance where he left everything on the road. He's still 11 minutes down on GC.

Quite a few of the riders who dropped out today had been up near the business end of the racing in the previous stages so won't have been as fresh. Besides, as mentioned earlier, it could be a case of tactical withdrawal in quite a few cases - with only the TT to come and no chance of overall victory, their job is done. They'll be on the plane to the Ardennes tomorrow for Amstel Gold, Fleche Wallonne and Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

I'm no apologist for Astana, but today's ride by Rosa was not a smoking gun. Whatever Astana's secret may be, it clearly isn't doing much for Aru at the moment.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's always an element of healthy scepticism with Astana, I agree. They've had a good P-V with Rosa, LLS and the recently departed Landa all winning stages. I'm reserving judgment at the moment though as it's not an obvious superman performance. If they all tear up the Giro again @Marmion will be dragging out his witchfinder general photo.
With all the attention on them, their threadbare credibility and (I'd assume) extra scrutiny they'd surely be crazy to be doped now? Or is that naive?

There's always an element of healthy scepticism with Astana, I agree. They've had a good P-V with Rosa, LLS and the recently departed Landa all winning stages. I'm reserving judgment at the moment though as it's not an obvious superman performance. If they all tear up the Giro again @Marmion will be dragging out his witchfinder general photo.
With all the attention on them, their threadbare credibility and (I'd assume) extra scrutiny they'd surely be crazy to be doped now? Or is that naive?
Those twats have blocked me from their twitter account due to me possibly making some brief passing reference to them maybe doping. Nobbers. :laugh:

That's a proper hat! No wonder 2nd and 3rd look so glum...
sptdw834_670.jpg

Castilla y Leon starts today. I hadn't realised just how minor it had become, until I checked the startlist. Movistar, Caja-Rural and "others"...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Is Trentino too minor to warrant its own thread? ICBA to start one for it anyway.

Not many big names there. Should be a three-way scrap between Bardet, Landa and Nibali (Vincenzo), if his Nibs is even interested in contesting it - he's backed Landa to win.

Perhaps of most interest to Brit cycling fans is the presence of Hugh Carthy and Alex Peters.

Perhaps of most interest to witch-finders is the presence of several serial dopers...

Top Bottom