mio cyclo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
so if i set it to record turn it off then keep riding and near the end of my ride turn it back on it won't have data for that bit if riding but if i stop for lunch and turn it off then turn it on when i start riding it will continue recording that ride?

I don't know what happens if you move locations between turning it off and on again. I might do an experiment later. Otherwise if you stay in roughly the same spot, then yes it continues to record the ride.

Does anyone know what difference the the routing options make on the edge touring. There is: 1- Cycling, 2- Touring, 3- mountain bike. I tried navigation today for a 2mile route (not following a course) just navigation and it sent me down every back street possible and went nowhere near the main roads ending up in a 3mile ride when the direct route is 2miles. the setting was on 'Cycling'.

pclay

Veteran
I don't know what happens if you move locations between turning it off and on again. I might do an experiment later. Otherwise if you stay in roughly the same spot, then yes it continues to record the ride..

Did above experiment this morning. Switched the edge Touring off, whilst moving and switched back on about 30 seconds later. Ride continued to record. However it showed a straight line between switch off point and switch on point (ie, didn't follow road).

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Did above experiment this morning. Switched the edge Touring off, whilst moving and switched back on about 30 seconds later. Ride continued to record. However it showed a straight line between switch off point and switch on point (ie, didn't follow road).
interesting thanks
any idea of the difference between cycling, touring and mountain bike?
Cheers ed

mikeIow

Guru
Great thread, thx, I had just discovered the Mio but am now probably discounting it.....although having played with a 505 at Halfords for 5 minutes, it did look easy/good !

I do have a Garmin 200 which was a good intro to gps recording, I can hopefully sell that to recover some cost of a Touring.....or will it be a Mio :-)

Question time....for both the Touring *and* a Mio please!

1. Can I *add* French OSM maps (free?) at same time as UK ones (planning a Lon2Paris ride in summer, so that is essential!) - does that need a degree in Computing?!
2. Can I "upload" 4-5 days .gpx plans so that each day I click "Day X" and off we go ?

(& yes, I know to take maps as well...these are an aid to navigation, not a replacement for common sense etc!!)
Thanks!

Last edited:

disabledcyclist

Regular
Looks amazing with those "firsts" garmin don'tdo mmajor updated, they just shoot out new products, mio looks to be the opposite and for the benefit of its. Users

dodgy

Yes, but at least the Garmin is water resistant enough to ride in the rain with confidence. I'd be buying the Mio now otherwise.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Looks amazing with those "firsts" garmin don'tdo mmajor updated, they just shoot out new products, mio looks to be the opposite and for the benefit of its. Users
Yes, but at least the Garmin is water resistant enough to ride in the rain with confidence. I'd be buying the Mio now otherwise.
had a look at the mio working in halfords and had a play but i feel it is too 'gimicky' where as my edge touring from Garmin is a straight talking simple unit you turn it on press a simple button and you clip in and ride
also looking online the mio seems to have LESS support from public and company compared to Garmin if either unit goes wrong
Cheers Ed

disabledcyclist

Regular
had a look at the mio working in halfords and had a play but i feel it is too 'gimicky' where as my edge touring from Garmin is a straight talking simple unit you turn it on press a simple button and you clip in and ride
also looking online the mio seems to have LESS support from public and company compared to Garmin if either unit goes wrong
Cheers Ed
The Garmin support from a s/w POV is piss poor and always has been

The power of Smartphones now well eclipse that of any Garmin , im Tempted to look into replacing the Edge 810 TBH

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
The Garmin support from a s/w POV is **** poor and always has been

The power of Smartphones now well eclipse that of any Garmin , im Tempted to look into replacing the Edge 810 TBH
what does s/w mean?

i still prefer the garmin to any smart phone
1 point is if you lose a garmin yes you are in a lot of trouble but you haven't lost your one most important bit of kit (for me at least) but if you lose your smart phone you are putting your life at risk!
Cheers Ed

disabledcyclist

Regular
what does s/w mean?

i still prefer the garmin to any smart phone
1 point is if you lose a garmin yes you are in a lot of trouble but you haven't lost your one most important bit of kit (for me at least) but if you lose your smart phone you are putting your life at risk!
Cheers Ed

Softwear

Agreed, however with the size of the Garmin 1000, you might as well strap a Motorola G to your bars, £99 brand new, better screen, changeable battery, unlimited options with Strava, Maps etc

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
The Garmin support from a s/w POV is **** poor and always has been

the garmin software support might be cr** but it is easy to work out most of it yourself and if not then many more people online know every corner of a garmin than a mio
Softwear

Agreed, however with the size of the Garmin 1000, you might as well strap a Motorola G to your bars, £99 brand new, better screen, changeable battery, unlimited options with Strava, Maps etc
never said you need the latest 1000, i wouldn't buy it at £400! you can buy a entry level brand new road bike such as a carerra TDF for less than that! i am happy with my compact lightweight simple garmin edge touring, the 1000 doesn't do much more than the 800 and 810 which both are exactly identical in both size and i think weight
Cheers Ed

disabledcyclist

Regular
I mean fixing s/w bugs etc Ed

and at £99 its miles better value buying a moto g than a Garmin Touring

I've had a Garmin 205,705,500,800 and now 810

and TBH im sooooooo glad there are new kids on the block

If only STRAVA released their own head units !!!!

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I mean fixing s/w bugs etc Ed

and at £99 its miles better value buying a moto g than a Garmin Touring

I've had a Garmin 205,705,500,800 and now 810

and TBH im sooooooo glad there are new kids on the block

If only STRAVA released their own head units !!!!
fair enough, i get where you're coming from
the one thing i wouldn't do is use the motorola as my gps and phone as that is just stupid and life threatening
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom